Xavi says Barcelona needs to 'change their mentality' after Rayo Vallecano draw (1 Viewer)

1778671202.0.jpg
Barcelona's head coach, Xavi, has emphasized the need for a shift in mentality for his team to find success in the upcoming 2023-24 season. The Catalan squad faced a challenging 1-1 draw against Rayo Vallecano on a Saturday afternoon, where Florian Lejeune's own goal offset an early strike from Unai Lopez in the 39th minute.

Currently trailing league leaders Girona by three points, with Girona having a game in hand, Barcelona has won only two of their last five matches. Xavi's coaching position has come under scrutiny in recent weeks due to subpar performances.

Acknowledging the team's need for improvement, the legendary midfielder mentioned that some crucial decisions didn't go in their favor during Saturday's match against Rayo Vallecano.

"I think there were two halves; in the first we dominated but we didn't go for the game. In the second half we did what we wanted: dominate and create chances, and we scored a goal," he told reporters during his post-match press conference.

"Starting matches by losing? This has happened many times this season and it is difficult to come back. We have to improve that. We must criticise ourselves and improve. We have to get very close to what we have been in the second half.

"On the first goal, I spoke with the flag referee. He told me that there was doubt, but in the end they awarded the goal. These are difficult situations going against us.

"There is also a penalty following a foul on Raphinha, but we should not stop there. With our level in the first half, it is time for self-criticism.

"We are having trouble with referee decisions that are interpretable, we are not having any luck so far this season... Always having trouble.

"In the first half we lacked the mentality of going for the game. If we want to win titles this season we have to change that mentality. The second half was good but it wasn't enough, we woke up late.

"Then I'm told I'm looking for excuses, but the foul on Raphinha is a clear penalty. It happened to us in Getafe, in Granada and today. We lost because we weren't good in the first half, and that's no excuse, but it's a clear penalty.

"The team's mentality must change. We must go to win from the first minute. We can turn the situation around. There is still time."

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back