Jurgen Klopp rejects Martin Odegaard handball decision in Arsenal draw (1 Viewer)

padi

Local time
Today 3:59 PM
Credits
ba8834a0-a0d9-11ee-8f34-aba4c47dfdf9.jpg
Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp expressed his belief that his team should have been awarded a penalty for a "clear handball" during their 1-1 draw with Arsenal on Saturday night. In the Anfield clash between the league-leading Gunners and the third-placed Reds, Liverpool had slipped to third position after Aston Villa's draw with Sheffield United on Friday.

Arsenal took an early lead with Gabriel Magalhaes heading home from Martin Odegaard's free kick just four minutes into the game. However, Liverpool quickly responded, equalizing 25 minutes later when Trent Alexander-Arnold's precise cross-field pass found Mohamed Salah, who skillfully avoided Oleksandr Zinchenko and scored with a left-footed shot into the roof of the net.

Despite the comeback, Liverpool felt aggrieved as they believed they should have been awarded a penalty for a handball by Odegaard before halftime. The ball clearly struck Odegaard's arm inside the penalty area, but their appeals were dismissed. Odegaard seemed to use his arm for leverage as he slipped on the turf, and the VAR review concluded that he was attempting to move his arm toward his body.

Jurgen Klopp was dissatisfied with both the on-field decision by Chris Kavanagh and the subsequent VAR review. Klopp also took a dig at former referee Dermot Gallagher, suggesting that the 66-year-old would defend the officials' conclusion in his Ref Watch segment on Sky Sports News.

Speaking to the media after the game, Klopp expressed his frustration with the decision.
"I think we all agree it was handball. I always wait until Mr Dermot explains it to me the next day what's really the case. He will find a way to explain to me that it wasn't really handball. For me, it was a clear handball."

The game that I say was a ball hitting odegaard's hand and that was a clear hand ball so I don't know why they rejected it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back