Robert Helenius confirmed as Anthony Joshua's new opponent (1 Viewer)

joshuavshelenius.0.jpg
Anthony Joshua's upcoming match has taken a twist, as he is now set to go head-to-head with Robert Helenius at the O2 Arena in London this Saturday. Initially, the two-time world heavyweight champion had been geared up for a rematch against his old rival, Dillian Whyte, in a bout that was meant to recreate their 2015 showdown at the same venue.

However, a recent revelation changed the course of events. Whyte was found to have an 'adverse analytical finding' during a random anti-doping check, a claim he vehemently denies. The substance responsible for the finding remains uncertain. This unforeseen circumstance left Matchroom Sport with a dilemma: either cancel their second sold-out O2 event in less than a year or find a suitable replacement opponent.

While speculations circulated about possible matchups with Dereck Chisora or Gerald Washington, both slated to fight on the undercard, Joshua's opponent will now be Helenius. Despite the short notice, the Finnish boxer is a credible contender, boasting a professional record of 32 wins and four losses from 36 fights.

However, it's worth noting that Helenius recently suffered a first-round knockout defeat against Deontay Wilder, the same opponent Joshua is eyeing for a future showdown if he emerges victorious this weekend.

Helenius himself returned to the ring after a 10-month hiatus, securing a third-round victory against his compatriot Mika Mielonen on Saturday in their home country.

Reflecting on this newly-scheduled bout, Joshua expressed his thoughts, stating:

"This wasn't in the script. I respect Helenius and may I say, I respect any male or female who steps into the ring.
"I am laser-focused on the win. I can make steps forward to bigger and better things but the road map has a checkpoint, Saturday night. May the best man win."

Commenting on Matchroom Sport's official website, Helenius added:

"I am excited about fighting Anthony Joshua on August 12. I am a true Viking that is willing to face any challenge at a moment's notice.

"This is not an opportunity I was going to let slip away. I plan to make the most of it!."

Arsenal-news-14.png
Anthony Joshua's upcoming match has taken a twist, as he is now set to go head-to-head with Robert Helenius at the O2 Arena in London this Saturday. Initially, the two-time world heavyweight champion had been geared up for a rematch against his old rival, Dillian Whyte, in a bout that was meant to recreate their 2015 showdown at the same venue.

However, a recent revelation changed the course of events. Whyte was found to have an 'adverse analytical finding' during a random anti-doping check, a claim he vehemently denies. The substance responsible for the finding remains uncertain. This unforeseen circumstance left Matchroom Sport with a dilemma: either cancel their second sold-out O2 event in less than a year or find a suitable replacement opponent.

While speculations circulated about possible matchups with Dereck Chisora or Gerald Washington, both slated to fight on the undercard, Joshua's opponent will now be Helenius. Despite the short notice, the Finnish boxer is a credible contender, boasting a professional record of 32 wins and four losses from 36 fights.

However, it's worth noting that Helenius recently suffered a first-round knockout defeat against Deontay Wilder, the same opponent Joshua is eyeing for a future showdown if he emerges victorious this weekend.

Helenius himself returned to the ring after a 10-month hiatus, securing a third-round victory against his compatriot Mika Mielonen on Saturday in their home country.

Reflecting on this newly-scheduled bout, Joshua expressed his thoughts, stating:

Commenting on Matchroom Sport's official website, Helenius added:
It's a 50-50 fight. @bryangrey , what's your take on this?

It's a 50-50 fight. @bryangrey , what's your take on this?
Sorry for the late reply, didn't receive a notification for your comment

Well, AJ took seven rounds to knockout Helenius, but Wilder put Helenius out in one round.

Wilder and AJ match is getting worked out now, that would be interesting

I think Wilder sparks AJ in round four, if you ask me

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back