Lionel Scaloni hints at stepping down from his role as Argentina's coach (1 Viewer)

Argentina-news-_Even-Lionel-Messi-loses_-Lionel-Scaloni-reacts-to-defeat.jpg
Argentina's manager, Lionel Scaloni, has suggested that he might step down from his position following the 1-0 triumph over Brazil on Tuesday. The historic victory at the Maracana, marred by clashes between Brazilian police and Argentina supporters, saw Nicolas Otamendi's 63rd-minute header secure the win, marking Brazil's first-ever home World Cup qualifying defeat.

Despite his team maintaining their top spot in the standings, Scaloni surprised reporters by revealing that he is contemplating leaving his role as the head coach of Argentina.
"Argentina needs a coach who has all the energy possible and who is well... I need to stop the ball and start thinking, I have a lot of things to think about during this time.
"These players have given a lot to the coaching staff and I need to think a lot about what I'm going to do.

"It's not goodbye or anything, but I need to think because the bar is very high and it's complicated to keep going and it's complicated to keep winning.

"These guys are making it difficult, so I need to think about it for a while. I will talk to the FA president and the players afterwards."
Since taking over from Jorge Sampaoli in August 2018, the 45-year-old Lionel Scaloni has experienced considerable success in his role. Under his leadership, Argentina secured the Copa America title in 2021, ending a 28-year drought for a major trophy.

The Argentina boss continued his winning streak, claiming football's most prestigious prize in December of the previous year. La Albiceleste clinched their third World Cup trophy after a thrilling penalty shootout victory against France.

With an impressive record of 46 victories in 67 games under his management, Scaloni appears to be taking some time to reflect on his future as the new year approaches.

Argentina's next major tournament appearance is scheduled for next summer, where they will defend their Copa America title in the United States.

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back