Kylian Mbappe: 'Lionel Messi truly deserved to win the Ballon d'Or' (1 Viewer)

306362ce31100f76.webp
Paris Saint-Germain and French forward Kylian Mbappe expressed his belief that Lionel Messi deserved to clinch the 2023 Ballon d'Or, citing Messi's success with Argentina in the World Cup. Both Mbappe and Messi, former teammates at Paris Saint-Germain, were top contenders for the prestigious award last month, along with Erling Haaland from Manchester City.

In the 2022-23 season, Mbappe secured his fifth consecutive Ligue 1 Golden Boot with an impressive 29 goals in the French top flight. Additionally, he became PSG's all-time leading goalscorer.
On the other hand, Messi scored 16 goals in the league but also provided an equal number of assists, the highest in the division. Messi later moved to Inter Miami during the summer transfer window.

Despite their domestic achievements, Haaland's outstanding performance took the spotlight, breaking the record for the most goals in a Premier League season with 36 strikes in 35 matches and securing a historic treble. While there were calls for Haaland to be awarded the 2023 Ballon d'Or, Mbappe and Messi stole the limelight during the World Cup in Qatar.

In the tournament, the duo collectively scored 15 goals, with Mbappe claiming the Golden Boot with eight goals, including a hat-trick in the final, and Messi contributing seven goals.

Ultimately, Messi lifted the iconic trophy, and Mbappe, speaking to the media before France's Euro 2024 qualifying match against Gibraltar, affirmed that Messi was a deserving winner of the Ballon d'Or. Mbappe acknowledged that Messi's eighth Ballon d'Or had been secured after their standout performances in Qatar.

"I am not scared that it has escaped me. Messi deserves it. In the evening of the 18th (December), I knew he'd won the World Cup and the Ballon d'Or. I had a great season, like Haaland, but when you win the World Cup, that makes the difference," Mbappe said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back