Lionel Messi breaks World Cup qualifying record in Argentina win (1 Viewer)

messi-celebration-e1670688667196.jpg
Lionel Messi showcased his brilliance by scoring both goals in Argentina's 2-0 triumph over Peru, a victory that made him the all-time top scorer in South American World Cup qualifying matches.

Messi had already equaled the record of 29 World Cup qualifying goals in September when he scored in a 1-0 win against Ecuador, matching his former Barcelona teammate Luis Suarez. However, the 36-year-old missed the opportunity to surpass Suarez in Argentina's two previous matches – a 3-0 victory over Bolivia in September and a narrow 1-0 win against Paraguay on Thursday.

In the encounter with Peru on Tuesday, Messi finally achieved this milestone. He netted a first-half brace to lead his national team to a 2-0 victory. His first goal came in the 32nd minute with a clinical first-time finish from a pass by Nico Gonzalez. Ten minutes later, he celebrated again, this time guiding the ball into the net at the near post, marking his 31st goal in South American World Cup qualifying.

Speaking to reporters after the game, Messi remarked:
"This team is incredible. Every time they play they are very close to being the best in history.

"On a game level I think we have grown. After winning the World Cup we are confident, very loose, more united and firm. Hopefully we can continue to grow."

After facing injury struggles in the past month, Lionel Messi's performance in Thursday's win left a strong impression on Argentina's manager, Lionel Scaloni.

"I saw him as if he had not had an injury or a break," Scaloni told reporters. "It is true that the team has understood him for a while now, he plays in a very marked way that benefits him. I hope he plays as long as he can, everyone is happy to see him on the pitch.

"We won't be affected by his break because we won't be competing again until March. I imagine he will do his preseason with his team, it is not something that really worries us.

"It was already seen today, without having a lot of minutes like it was said... The most important thing is that he is healthy and that's the best thing, he is managing his minutes."

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back