Jose Mourinho 'set to leave AS Roma at the end of the season' (2 Viewers)

2_GettyImages-1399320595.jpg

It appears that Jose Mourinho, the manager of AS Roma, is likely to leave the Italian club at the end of the 2023-24 season. Mourinho, who previously managed Chelsea, Manchester United, and Tottenham Hotspur, is currently in the final year of his contract with Roma. Unfortunately, the team has had a disappointing start to the new season.

During the summer, Roma made several significant signings, bringing in players like Houssem Aouar, Romelu Lukaku, Sardar Azmoun, Evan Ndicka, Rasmus Kristensen, Renato Sanches, and Leandro Paredes. Despite these additions, the team has struggled in the early part of the season, winning only five of their first ten matches in all competitions. They've drawn two games and lost three out of their first eight Serie A matches.

With just 11 points from a possible 24, Roma currently sits in 10th place in the Serie A standings. However, they are performing better in the Europa League, holding the second position in Group G after consecutive victories over Sheriff Tiraspol and Servette.

There were speculations that Mourinho's job might be at risk if his team lost to Cagliari before the international break. However, his team managed to secure a comfortable 4-1 win in that match two weekends ago.

Despite the recent success, journalist Gianluca Di Marzio suggested that a contract extension for Mourinho at Stadio Olimpico is not in the cards. Instead, it's anticipated that he will bid farewell to Roma next summer, with rumors linking him to a potential move to Saudi Arabia.
"It won't happen," Di Marzio responded when asked about a renewal for Mourinho. "There are no negotiations ongoing, there have never been. So they'll part company at the end of the deal in June.

"Surely, once Mourinho will be free, they [Saudi clubs] will try again. It remains to be seen what Mourinho thinks about his future. Whether he wants to coach a new European club or go there [to Saudi Arabia]."

It's uncertain if Mourinho will make the move to the Middle East as soon as next year, but the 60-year-old manager is confident that he will, at some point, take the reins of a club in the Saudi Pro League.

In another interview with elhekayashow, Mourinho praised Cristiano Ronaldo, who currently plays for Al-Nassr, for altering the perception of the Saudi Pro League. This transformation in perception was brought about by the arrival of several well-known players from European clubs during the summer transfer window.

"I am focused on Roma and I will give my all until the last day I am here. Nobody knows the future, but I am convinced I will coach in Saudi Arabia one day. I don't know when, but I am quite sure it's something I'll surely do," Mourinho added.

"I think it's the Cristiano Ronaldo effect. He was the first one to go there and change the perspective. It is proved by the fact that players going there are not at the end of their careers, but in their best years. Competition is real in Saudi Arabia."

After signing a three-year contract with Roma in 2021, Mourinho has achieved a 50% win rate during his tenure as the manager of the Giallorossi. This includes 60 wins out of 120 games, along with 27 draws and 33 losses.

In his first season in charge, the 60-year-old guided Roma to victory in the Europa Conference League. He also led the Italian giants to the final of the 2022-23 Europa League, where they were narrowly defeated by the perennial champions, Sevilla, in a penalty shootout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back