Eden Hazard announces retirement from football aged 32 (1 Viewer)

65333029-0-image-a-42_1670409159150.jpg
Eden Hazard, the former Chelsea and Real Madrid winger, has made the decision to retire from professional football at the age of 32. Hazard's journey took him to Real Madrid from Chelsea in the summer of 2019 for a transfer fee of £89 million.

Unfortunately, his time with the Spanish giants was marked by persistent injuries that prevented him from reaching the anticipated level of performance.

During his four-year tenure at Real Madrid, Hazard did manage to secure some significant titles, including one Champions League trophy, one Club World Cup, one European Super Cup, two La Liga titles, one Copa del Rey, and two Spanish Super Cups.

However, these successes were accompanied by a limited number of appearances, with just 76 across all competitions during his time with the club, accompanied by a modest goal tally of seven.

This summer, Real Madrid released Hazard from his contract, mutually terminating it a year before its scheduled expiration. In the months following his release, Hazard's name was linked with several clubs worldwide, fueling speculation about his next destination.

Ultimately, Eden Hazard has chosen to conclude his illustrious career and looks forward to embarking on "new experiences" in the future.

"You must listen to yourself and say stop at the right time," Hazard wrote on Instagram.

"After 16 years and more than 700 matches played, I have decided to end my career as a professional footballer.

"I was able to realise my dream, I have played and had fun on many pitches around the world.

"During my career I was lucky to meet great managers, coaches and teammates - thank you to everyone for these great times, I will miss you all.

"I also want to thank the clubs I have played for: LOSC, Chelsea and Real Madrid; and thank the RBFA for my Belgian Selection.

"A special thank you to my family, my friends, my advisors and the people who have been close to me in good times and bad.

"Finally, a huge thank you to you, my fans, who have followed me for all these years and for your encouragement everywhere I have played.

"Now is the time to enjoy my loved ones and have new experiences. See you off the field soon my friends. #onestensemble.

Before his move to Real Madrid, Eden Hazard enjoyed an outstanding seven-year tenure at Chelsea, where he made a significant impact. During this time, he netted 110 goals and contributed 92 assists in 352 appearances across various tournaments.

Hazard's contributions were crucial to Chelsea's success, as he helped secure two Premier League titles for the club. He stands among an elite group of players in the Premier League's history, which includes Thierry Henry, Matt Le Tissier, and Eric Cantona, who have achieved the remarkable feat of scoring a minimum of 15 goals while providing at least 15 assists in a single season. In the 2018-19 season, Hazard accomplished this feat with 16 goals and 15 assists.

His excellence on the field earned him numerous accolades, including the Premier League and PFA Players' of the Year awards in the 2014-15 season when he played a pivotal role in Chelsea clinching the top-flight title. Additionally, Hazard was honored as Chelsea's Player of the Year on four separate occasions.

During his illustrious tenure at Chelsea, which began in 2012 when he joined from the French club Lille, Hazard also added to his trophy collection with an FA Cup, an EFL Cup, and two Europa League titles, solidifying his status as a legendary figure in the club's history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back