Peps Guardiola hints at Manchester City departure (1 Viewer)

CuteJean

Legend
Local time
Today 4:55 AM
Credits
Germany
1713132001962_bd914c6b-b6f9-4c2a-9704-42784eee6b5e.jpg
Pep Guardiola has hinted that he's "closer to leaving than staying" at Manchester City after guiding the team to a historic fourth consecutive Premier League title. At 53, Guardiola is often hailed as one of the greatest managers ever. Over his eight seasons at the Etihad Stadium, he’s amassed 17 trophies.

Under his leadership, Man City has become the powerhouse of English football, clinching their sixth Premier League title in the last seven seasons this year. The season's final game saw goals from Phil Foden (2) and Rodri, leading City to a 3-1 victory over West Ham United, securing their top spot and finishing just two points ahead of Arsenal.

With just one year left on his contract, Guardiola has confirmed he will stay on for next season. However, he’s still undecided about his long-term future with the club.

"The reality is I'm closer to leaving than to staying," Guardiola told Sky Sports in a post-match interview after lifting the Premier League trophy.

"It's eight years, will be nine. Right now my feeling is I want to stay next season. We talked with the club, we have time to talk next season because I have to see the players as well, if they follow me, they follow us.

"I want to stay next season. During the season, we will talk. But after eight, nine years..."

Later in his post-match press conference, Guardiola suggested that he is running out of things to achieve at Man City, having already won every trophy possible at the top level of English football.

"I had that feeling last season [after we won the treble]," said the Catalan coach. "We were in Istanbul (after winning Champions League) and I said, 'It's over. What am I doing here? There is nothing left.' But I have a contract. I am here and I am still enjoying some of the moments, sometimes tired but some of them I love.

"And after a few days, we start playing good, winning games, different players, and we start to think about how no one has done four in a row. Why not try it?

"Now, I am feeling it is done. What next? I don't know, right now. Well, I know it is FA Cup. I know no team in all history, Gary Lineker told me - I did not know it - no team has done back-to-back Premier Leagues and FA Cups.

"So, it is [against] our rivals, and what I want is for my players to enjoy it for two or three days, and then we have two or three days to prepare the final.

"But, next season, right now, I am not able to know what will be the motivation to do it. It is difficult sometimes to find it when everything is done.

"But I know that the players and myself will be there and think, why shouldn't we win today? Why not? Why should we not work as much as possible to do what we have to do? And I know we are going to do it. I know."

1713132001962_bd914c6b-b6f9-4c2a-9704-42784eee6b5e.jpg
Pep Guardiola has hinted that he's "closer to leaving than staying" at Manchester City after guiding the team to a historic fourth consecutive Premier League title. At 53, Guardiola is often hailed as one of the greatest managers ever. Over his eight seasons at the Etihad Stadium, he’s amassed 17 trophies.

Under his leadership, Man City has become the powerhouse of English football, clinching their sixth Premier League title in the last seven seasons this year. The season's final game saw goals from Phil Foden (2) and Rodri, leading City to a 3-1 victory over West Ham United, securing their top spot and finishing just two points ahead of Arsenal.

With just one year left on his contract, Guardiola has confirmed he will stay on for next season. However, he’s still undecided about his long-term future with the club.
At some point, it's bound to happen

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back