Kevin De Bruyne Breaks Premier League Assist Record (1 Viewer)

Wonderboy

Staff member
Local time
Today 4:14 AM
Credits
Nigeria
maxresdefault.jpg
Kevin De Bruyne has set a new Premier League record for assists by providing a goal-scoring opportunity for his teammate in Manchester City's 4-1 triumph over Southampton on Saturday. The 31-year-old midfielder had already accumulated 13 Premier League assists this season, which is at least three more than any other player in the league. Last weekend, he set up his 99th goal in a 4-1 victory against Liverpool.

In the game against Southampton, De Bruyne assisted in the opening goal, which was headed in by Erling Braut Haaland, thus joining the 100 club for assists. Although he was not officially credited with an assist for the other two goals, he was involved in the build-up play. With this achievement, De Bruyne has become the quickest player in Premier League history to reach 100 assists, achieving this milestone in 237 games. He surpassed Cesc Fabregas, who took 56 more matches to reach a century of assists while playing for Arsenal.

De Bruyne is now among the top five players with a century of Premier League assists, trailing Frank Lampard by just two assists. Wayne Rooney is third on the list with 103 assists, while Ryan Giggs and Fabregas hold the top two spots with 162 and 111 assists, respectively. The Belgian has won four top-flight titles in the last five seasons with Manchester City, and he is still in contention to retain the Premier League title this year. Following their victory against Southampton, City is currently five points behind leaders Arsenal, who will face Liverpool at Anfield on Sunday.

De Bruyne expressed his pride in achieving the milestone of 100 Premier League assists after the match, stating that he had been aware of it before the game and had seen people talking about it online. The midfielder is regarded as one of the best playmakers of the modern era and has been a crucial part of Pep Guardiola's Manchester City team over the years.
"It is something you can't really miss. I just tried to create as much as possible. I could have had two or three more. If they score I get the assist.

"I am known for my creativity, there aren't many football players who have been there. Half of the side is mine and half of the side is the other. It is a proud moment but I have to go on."

De Bruyne added: "I don't compare (myself to Fabregas). Cesc is an unbelievable footballer player. I don't compare myself to others. I just try and do the best I can do.

"People will talk about (being) quicker. Everything is different, you play different positions and teams. We score a lot of goals!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back