Kemba Walker reveals the reasons why he joined Monaco (1 Viewer)

82c12b51cbd64c4dff7c81bfa247e319-72673-oooz0000.jpg
On Friday, AS Monaco sent ripples of surprise through the European basketball community with the unexpected signing of former NBA All-Star, Kemba Walker. The day following the announcement, the player granted his first interview, speaking with the club's official website. In the interview, the Charlotte Hornets' all-time leading scorer revealed the motivations behind his decision to embark on a new chapter in his career in the EuroLeague.

"The club was very interested in me, and I just wanted to be part of a club that wanted me, that believed in me. I saw that the management felt that I could help them reach another level. That's what convinced me, and what made me decide to join Monaco," he said. "I just want to keep playing basketball at a high level, and Monaco allows me to."

Prior to joining Monaco, Kemba reached out to one of his friends, Shabazz Napier, the current guard for Crvena Zvezda Meridianbet Belgrade, seeking his assistance in making the crucial final decision.

"I've only heard good things about the EuroLeague. And I have many friends who play in this competition. One of my former college teammates and one of my closest friends Shabazz Napier gave me a lot of advice in making this decision," Walker revealed.

"I know a lot of players who have played abroad, and I've had only good feedback on this competition," he said about the EuroLeague. "I can't wait to fight it out [on the court], it will be an extraordinary moment."

Having spent 12 years in the NBA, Kemba Walker, a four-time All-Star and once named to the All-NBA Third Team, made the decision to sign with Monaco. Reflecting on his time in the world's strongest basketball league, Kemba acknowledges that his NBA career has been a resounding success.
"I think I've had a very successful career. I don't think that when I came to the NBA, people saw me being a four-time All-Star, or doing what I was able to do, especially at the Hornets, especially as a small point guard," the player said.

"I've had a pretty incredible career and I'm proud of it. This is all the fruit of hard work, and that's all I wanted. I love basketball so much you wouldn't even know," he continued. "My only obsession was to get better every year. It was my goal to grow, to be the best teammate I could be, and to try to rebuild the Hornets franchise."

In recent years, Walker has faced numerous serious injuries that have plagued him. However, with his move to Monaco, he embraces the opportunity with great enthusiasm, as it allows him to leave all the troubles behind and focus on a fresh start.

"It was really very hard for me but I want to leave those difficult years behind me. That's why I keep working and training hard. Like I said before, I love this game so much, I don't want to give it up yet," Kemba shared. "I don't think my time is up yet. I want to keep going until I can't take it anymore. Having fun, being surrounded by great people. I welcome this opportunity in Monaco, and I want to help build something."

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back