Hamad Medjedovic crowned Next Gen ATP Finals champion (1 Viewer)

Hamad-Medjedovic-clinches-Next-Gen-ATP-Finals-title-in-Jeddah-embracing-his-victory.jpg
The Next Gen ATP Finals witnessed the crowning of the champion in the form of 20-year-old Serbian sixth seed, Hamad Medjedovic. In a thrilling final showdown against Arthur Fils on Sunday, Medjedovic clinched the title, reminiscent of his compatriot Novak Djokovic's success in November's ATP Finals.

The Serbian emerged victorious with a scoreline of 3–4[6], 4–1, 4–2, 3–4 [9], 4–1, wrapping up the match in just over two hours.

This triumph adds the finishing touch to a remarkable breakthrough year for Medjedovic, born in 2003. In 2023, he made his mark by reaching the first round of both Wimbledon and the French Open. His ranking soared, peaking at world number 102 in October.

Throughout the tournament, Medjedovic distinguished himself with powerful serves, delivering 19 aces against Fils and securing an impressive 88% of points with his first serve.

In addition to his offensive prowess, Medjedovic demonstrated remarkable consistency, committing only nine unforced errors while unleashing 32 winners. He also showcased resilience by saving all four break points faced during the contest.
"I can't believe I have won this title, but it's going to give me a lot of confidence for 2024. Arthur is an amazing player; he's Top 40 for a reason, so I'm really happy," Medjedovic said on the court.

"It was tough after the first set. I changed my clothes and recovered and started to play good again. I didn't play good when I had match points in the fourth set. I wasn't relaxed, I was very stiff. Thank God I recovered and I was just trying to stay relaxed as much as I could and I managed to do it in the end."

In the fourth-set tie-breaker, despite a couple of early unforced errors, Medjedovic rebounded, earning two match points. Although he couldn't capitalize on them, an untimely unforced error from Fils on break point in the fifth set allowed Medjedovic to secure an early two-game lead. The Serbian sealed his championship status with an ace on match point.

Medjedovic's triumph at the Next Gen ATP Finals is complemented by his success in the 2023 season, where he clinched three Challenger level titles and reached the semi-finals of the Astana Open and Swiss Open on the ATP Tour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back