Evander Holyfield Names The Only Heavyweight Who ‘Knocked Everyone Out’ In Sparring (1 Viewer)

ghows-IP-430345d9-127e-4f77-e053-0100007f3f82-af3c1133.jpeg
The name Evander Holyfield holds a unique place in the history books as the only individual to achieve the status of a four-time heavyweight champion, along with being undisputed in both the cruiserweight and heavyweight divisions, plus he also won an bronze medal at the 1984 Olympic games.

His career is a tapestry of remarkable moments, and 'The Real Deal' faced off against some of the world's finest to earn such a distinguished reputation. Among his notable opponents was Mike Tyson, with whom Holyfield had two memorable bouts in 1996-97. The first ended in Holyfield's favor with a stoppage, while the second is infamous for Tyson's disqualification.

Interestingly, this wasn't the first time these two legends shared a ring. In an interview with VLAD TV, Holyfield revealed that he had sparred with 'Iron' Mike during their amateur days, witnessing Tyson's ability to 'knock everybody out.'

“We didn’t spar until 84. Mike used to knock everybody out. When he had his own sparring partner, he’d knock him out everyday. He’d have people come in and he’d knock them out.”

Following that, Holyfield hinted that he and Tyson had an amicable relationship, a hint of what would later become their professional rivalry. A significant element in this dynamic was Holyfield's fearlessness, a quality not many opponents of 'The Baddest Man on the Planet' could boast.

“This is when I realised everything he could do so well. He was an expert at rope, hitting the bag, everything he did he did great. I would watch and think ‘wow man he’s good.’ But in the game of boxing it’s about what you can do to a person to get them to move and capitalise on which way they move.

Mike was one of the fighters that charge at you all the time. What I had that a lot of people didn’t have was good rythym and good movement. I can pump back and make you run into my shots. I had fast hands. What I had too, I had this thing where I wasn’t afraid of nobody. My momma said the only way you’re gonna lose is when you don’t take no chance to win.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back