Xabi Alonso "very happy" at Bayer Leverkusen but open to Liverpool job (1 Viewer)

Wonderboy

Staff member
Local time
Today 12:36 AM
Credits
Nigeria
skysports-xabi-alonso-liverpool_6434062.jpg
Bayer Leverkusen's head coach, Xabi Alonso, recently shared his joy in his current coaching position. However, he hasn't completely ruled out the possibility of taking charge at Liverpool, given Jurgen Klopp's surprising decision to step down as the manager.

Alonso, the favored candidate for the Liverpool job, had previously coached Real Sociedad B before joining Leverkusen in 2022. His team has been on an impressive unbeaten streak throughout the 2023-24 season, leading the Bundesliga table by four points ahead of Bayern Munich.

Despite expressing happiness in his current role, Alonso didn't dismiss the idea of considering the Liverpool position.

"First of all it was a surprise [Klopp stepping down] but as well I have huge respect for Jurgen. Huge admiration before coming to Liverpool and during his years it has grown bigger, what he has achieved and the way he has achieved it," Alonso told reporters on Friday afternoon.

"At the moment, I am really happy here and enjoying my work here. I'm feeling each day and each game is a challenge and we are in an intense but beautiful journey here in Leverkusen and I am trying to give my best to help my players be ready for the next thing, and that's my goal. What will come next, I don't know.

"I was very surprised [by Klopp's exit]. My focus is Leverkusen. At the moment I am really happy here. I still have a big motivation and I am very happy with the club and the team.

"To be honest I'm not in that moment to think about the next step. I'm thinking about where I am right now and I think that I'm in a great place and I am enjoying [it]. I think it's the right place, so that's all I can say.

Is Xabi Alonso the right man to replace Jurgen Klopp at Liverpool and continue from where he stopped? Let's discuss

skysports-xabi-alonso-liverpool_6434062.jpg
Bayer Leverkusen's head coach, Xabi Alonso, recently shared his joy in his current coaching position. However, he hasn't completely ruled out the possibility of taking charge at Liverpool, given Jurgen Klopp's surprising decision to step down as the manager.

Alonso, the favored candidate for the Liverpool job, had previously coached Real Sociedad B before joining Leverkusen in 2022. His team has been on an impressive unbeaten streak throughout the 2023-24 season, leading the Bundesliga table by four points ahead of Bayern Munich.

Despite expressing happiness in his current role, Alonso didn't dismiss the idea of considering the Liverpool position.

Is Xabi Alonso the right man to replace Jurgen Klopp at Liverpool and continue from where he stopped? Let's discuss
I learnt that he has a clause in his contract that allows him to walk away if Bayern Munich, Liverpool or Real Madrid come calling!

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back