Serge Ibaka explains why he joined Bayern Munich (1 Viewer)

Serge-Ibaka-au-Bayern-Munich.jpg
Right before the club season began, FC Bayern Munich made an interesting signing by adding Serge Ibaka to their team. The experienced tall player has recently shared why he decided to join the German team. During a special meeting with the local media, Ibaka discussed his reasons for selecting Bayern as the next step in his career.
"I'm here to play basketball because I'm a basketball player. I love this game. Number two, this organization has a big history. Being part of this organization is a blessing to me. I'm grateful to be here, working with someone I knew in the past," he said about Bayern and head coach Pablo Laso.

When asked to expand on it, Ibaka explained what he is looking to gain from the Bayern experience.

"I'm a winner, that's the reason I'm here. I couldn't stay in the States and wait for someone to sign me to be on the bench. I don't want that," the player said. "I still feel that I've got a lot of basketball left in me, and I want to play at a high level, I want to win, that's what I do. And the day when I feel that I don't want to do it anymore, I'm going to retire. I'm here to win and help my team on and off the court, to be a good example, a good pro, and a vet to help the young guys. That's why I'm here."

After a year of absence from top-level basketball, Pablo Laso made a return to the EuroLeague as head coach of Bayern. A two-time EuroLeague champion, Laso once worked with Ibaka during the NBA lockout in 2011.

"He's a great coach and a great person, most importantly. At this point in my career, it's important for me who I'm working [with]," Ibaka explained his decision. "I try to have fun working with a good person. At the end of the day, basketball is just a game, we play for fun."

"Life is more than basketball. At this point in my life where I am right now, it's important to know where I'm going. To spend one year working and making all the sacrifices, I need to make sure I'm working for a good person. This is Pablo," the veteran big man said. "When you're talking about Coach, I love his style. When he called me, I took my time to think about it, but I didn't have [any] doubts about the basketball style. I want to enjoy it."

Since arriving in Munich, Ibaka has only been to one team practice so far, as he was fulfilling other obligations to the club, the team's general manager, Marko Pesic, revealed. Despite this fact, Ibaka feels ready to get on the court.

"Physically, I'm in a great place. I've been working [for] the last 7-8 months. The only thing that was missing was team basketball, playing [in] competitions, playing five-on-five. Physically, I'm 100% well," he said.

"I'll need more time to get adjusted to play five-on-five and be part of my teammates and their new style. This is going to come, this is normal, it happens to everybody. The most important [thing is that] I'm healthy and I'm ready to go."

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back