Marco Verratti leaves PSG after 11 years to join Al Arabi (1 Viewer)

Verratti-d6ca824efc95433caad96cfacfbf1c38.jpg
Italian midfielder Marco Verratti has ended his trophy-laden 11-year stay with Paris Saint-Germain, opting for a permanent transfer to Qatari side, Al Arabi. The 30-year-old has inked a two-year contract with the Qatar Stars League club, extending his commitment until the summer of 2025. Reportedly, PSG received approximately €45 million (£38.7 million) for the transfer of the midfielder.

Verratti bids a heartfelt farewell to the Parc des Princes after accumulating an impressive collection of 30 major trophies during his time with Les Parisiens. PSG originally acquired him in 2012 for a modest €12 million (£10.3 million). During his stint with PSG, Verratti earned acclaim as one of Europe's most technically gifted midfielders, contributing 11 goals and 61 assists across 416 appearances in various competitions.

The Italian international clinched nine Ligue 1 titles with the capital club and reached the final of the 2019-20 Champions League. In the 2022-23 season, he made 38 appearances. Nonetheless, Verratti's tenure at the Parc des Princes was marred by injuries, and he was informed this summer that he was not part of the club's future plans.

During the summer transfer window, PSG bolstered their midfield with the additions of Manuel Ugarte, Xavi Simons, Cher Ndour, and Lee Kang-in. Additionally, 17-year-old Warren Zaire-Emery emerged as a regular starter under the management of Luis Enrique. Consequently, Verratti became surplus to requirements and did not feature in a single matchday squad for PSG before the international break, as the Parisians worked to finalize his departure.

"I've been very proud to play for Paris Saint-Germain for over a decade, to rub shoulders with so many great players and to win 30 trophies. Paris, the club and its fans will always hold a very special place in my heart. I'll forever be a Parisian," Verratti told the official PSG website upon his departure.

PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi also paid a glowing tribute to the former Pescara youngster, saying:

"Marco will be forever linked to Paris Saint-Germain, playing such a big part in our great history.
"I will never forget his arrival in 2012 at the age of nineteen. He has always been there for the Club ever since, giving all his heart on the pitch and achieving so many great things with us.

"I would like to sincerely thank Marco, and his family, on behalf of everyone connected to Paris Saint-Germain, he will always be part of the Club. We wish him all the very best with his new adventure."

Besides winning 30 team trophies, Verratti was chosen as one of the best players in the Ligue 1 Team of the Year for seven years in a row, from 2013 to 2019. He also received the award for the league's best young player in the 2013-14 season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back