Manchester City to 'postpone Phil Foden contract extension talks until summer' (1 Viewer)

Beejay59

Local time
Today 1:49 AM
Credits
TELEMMGLPICT000360773637_17033554038060_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqmZxOu8v4Byvxg8afr28tjOil7a1KV2STY3xRqqFt_No.jpeg
Manchester City has reportedly decided to hold off on contract discussions with their star attacker Phil Foden until the summer. Foden, who hails from Stockport and came up through the academy, is having his most prolific season yet in a City shirt, with 18 goals and 10 assists in 41 appearances across all competitions.

Despite being just 23 years old, Foden has already racked up an impressive 258 senior appearances for Manchester City since his debut in November 2017, scoring 78 goals and providing 51 assists.

The versatile player has clinched 16 trophies at the club level, including five Premier League titles and one Champions League. He played a pivotal role in City's historic treble win last season.

Foden's standout performance in Manchester City's recent 3-1 derby victory over Manchester United, where he scored twice, earned him praise from manager Pep Guardiola, who labeled him as the best player in the Premier League. In October 2022, Foden extended his contract with Man City until 2027 and reportedly tripled his wages to around £200,000 per week.

Although there have been reports indicating that Manchester City intends to initiate talks with Foden regarding a new contract, sources from Football Insider suggest that negotiations won't progress further until the current season concludes.

However, all parties involved are reportedly confident that they'll reach a new long-term agreement during the summer.

Foden has expressed his joy at playing for his childhood club and has admitted that he's thriving in a more central role under Guardiola this season.
"It's the most consistent games that I've played. I've been playing in a new position as well – more inside and more midfield and I'm enjoying it," Foden told mancity.com.
"I'm enjoying the season and I'm in good form at the moment, so I want to keep that up. Sometimes it just clicks and happens – you get a run of games, there's nothing more to it.

"For me, it's given me a lot more freedom – to pick up the ball a lot more and do a lot more things. I've enjoyed it every time I play there."

"I wouldn't say world class yet – I think I've got the potential to be but to hear [praise] from the manager is special for me," Foden added.

"I still want to keep improving and try to be an even better player. To do it for a number of years – that's when you get the world class status. I have to do it consistently in the biggest games and biggest occasions."

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back