Karim Benzema insists he is happy at Al-Ittihad amid transfer rumors (1 Viewer)

pascaldigitals2000

Local time
Today 4:32 AM
Credits
0_GettyImages-1885194943.jpg
Karim Benzema has denied rumors of being unhappy in Saudi Arabia and has emphasized that he has no issues with Al Ittihad manager Marcelo Gallardo, despite recent reports suggesting otherwise.

At the beginning of the season, the French footballer joined other top stars in securing a lucrative deal in the Middle East, making a significant move from Real Madrid in a high-value transfer.

During the January transfer window, various reports circulated claiming that Benzema was not content with his time in the Saudi Pro League, just six months after joining Al Ittihad, and was considering a return to Europe. Speculation linked him with Manchester United and even a potential return to Real Madrid, but no transfer materialized.

Some reports indicated that Benzema was excluded from first-team training after returning from his holiday 17 days late last month. Following this incident, he didn't participate in his team's mid-season training camp in Dubai.

Consequently, he was left out of the squad for their Saudi Pro League match against Al-Tai and also didn't travel with the team for their AFC Champions League match against Navbahor Namangan in Uzbekistan.

However, after returning to action for The People's Club in a 2-0 victory over Al-Riyadh last week, the former Ballon d'Or winner clarified that he never had any intention of leaving the Saudi Pro League and dismissed speculation about his desire to return to Europe as untrue.

In an interview after the win, Benzema stated:
"I am back and now I am better. The story of my departure is not true and I am happy in Saudi Arabia. I have no problems with Gallardo, all those who say I want to return to Europe are liars."

He added: "I am very happy at Al-Ittihad. For my part, I have no problems with anyone. Ask the coach about my absence, I was ready for the internship in Dubai."

Benzema has countered reports of dissatisfaction in Saudi Arabia before; he previously dismissed similar claims in an interview with GQ Middle East.

"It [being in Saudi] is a new challenge [and one] that I like – a long-term project and in a Muslim country. I'm not only a football player here in Saudi Arabia, I'm also an ambassador. I'm here to bring great European players in, in the near future, even if there are already great ones in the Saudi league. Our challenge is to raise it to the same level of the European Leagues."

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back