Joshua Vs Whyte fight called off after adverse findings in anti-doping test (1 Viewer)

4894053.jpg
The highly anticipated rematch between Anthony Joshua and Dillian Whyte, scheduled for August 12 at London's O2 Arena, has been called off. This would have been their second meeting in the professional ranks, with Whyte eager to avenge his previous defeat to AJ back in 2015.

Unfortunately, Whyte will not have the opportunity for redemption, as an "adverse" finding surfaced in an anti-doping test conducted prior to the fight. The Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA) reported the findings to Matchroom Boxing, the Association of Boxing Commissions, and the British Boxing Board of Control.

Due to this unexpected development, the boxing authorities have decided to cancel the match, putting a halt to the much-anticipated showdown between the bitter rivals. Further investigations and actions will likely be taken to address the situation and ensure the integrity of the sport.

"In light of this news, the fight will be cancelled and a full investigation will be conducted.

"Further information on the event will follow."
After the news was made public, 35-year-old Whyte took to Instagram to share his thoughts;

"I am shocked and devastated to learn of a report by VADA of adverse findings relating to me.

"I only learned of it this morning and am still reacting to it. I have also just seen that the fight is being cancelled without having any chance to demonstrate my innocence before the decision was taken.

"I can confirm without a shadow of a doubt that I have not taken the reported substance in this camp or at any point in my life.

"I am completely innocent and ask to be given the time to go through the process of proving this without anybody jumping to conclusions or a trial by media.

"I insisted on 24/7 VADA testing for this fight, as I have done voluntarily and at my own expense for all of my fights for many, many years.

"This is not the first time that I have been reported as having an adverse finding for a substance I have not taken. And as I did last time, I will again prove that I am completely innocent.

"In the meantime, all I can do is express my extreme disappointment to boxing fans who will miss out on what sure to be a great event."

In their December 2015 clash, Joshua and Whyte engaged in a fierce battle, during which the Body Snatcher managed to wobble his old rival. However, the slugfest reached a dramatic conclusion in the seventh round when referee Howard Foster intervened and halted the contest after Whyte was knocked down by a powerful right punch.

Their rivalry dates back to their amateur days in 2009 when Whyte defeated Joshua by decision, adding fuel to their intense competition. Despite the setback, Whyte continued to pursue his dreams, challenging WBC champion Tyson Fury in 2022, albeit unsuccessful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back