George Groves makes bold prediction on Joshua vs Whyte bout (1 Viewer)

MartinGee

Incredible Mister 💪
Staff member
Local time
Today 9:51 AM
Credits
United-States
Anthony%20Joshua%20-%20Dillian%20Whyte%2007122023.jpg
George Groves, the former super middleweight champion, is well-versed in big rematches and has shared his insights on the upcoming showdown between Anthony Joshua and Dillian Whyte.

Set to take place on August 12 at London's O2 Arena, this all-British heavyweight clash holds immense significance for both fighters. The victor will aim to make a strong return to the top echelon of the division, while the loser may find themselves excluded from the world title picture for a considerable period, if not permanently.

In their most recent bouts, both Joshua and Whyte faced American Jermaine Franklin, with neither putting on particularly dominant performances, each securing 12-round points wins. Joshua claimed a unanimous decision, while Whyte managed a majority decision.

Nearly eight years have passed since their previous encounter when they fought for the British title in a gripping and emotional slugfest. In that bout, Whyte was ultimately counted out after absorbing a devastating uppercut, though in their amateur days, he had triumphed over Joshua when both were still relatively inexperienced.

During an interview with IFL TV, George Groves was asked about his thoughts on whether Joshua should defeat Whyte in their upcoming bout, and he had this to say;

“Yeh, he should beat Dillian Whyte. He beat him before, should beat him again … Whyte is not in great form as such is he? He had a hard fight against Tyson [Fury] after waiting years and years for a world title shot. He gets one, and I think the occasion got to him. He didn’t box the well and he got stopped.

Then he boxed Franklin and didn’t box well either. Some say he was lucky to get the nod. So, it’s not great form to be going into the Joshua fight, so I think Joshua beats him. I think at this point Joshua is probably a little bit more fresh and beats him.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back