Jayson Tatum Powers Bolton Celtics Into Conference Finals (1 Viewer)

Wonderboy

Staff member
Local time
Today 12:03 AM
Credits
Nigeria
14nba-playoffs-celtics-sixers-tatum-zlcm-articleLarge.jpg
Jayson Tatum etched his name in NBA history as he delivered a remarkable performance that propelled the Boston Celtics to the Eastern Conference Finals with a thrilling 4-3 series victory over the Philadelphia 76ers. In a fiercely contested semi-final clash that went the distance, Tatum unleashed an extraordinary 51-point performance, setting a new playoff Game Seven scoring record. His incredible display guided the Celtics to a commanding 112-88 triumph at TD Garden.

After a below-par showing in Game Six, where he managed a mere three points on 1-of-13 shooting in the first three quarters, the 25-year-old superstar shattered the previously held record by Golden State Warriors' talisman Steph Curry. Curry had only recently claimed the record with a 50-point showcase against the Sacramento Kings in the first round.

"It definitely was on my mind that I had played as bad as it could get for 42, 43 minutes. We have a saying, 'It's only up from here.' Going into Game 6 -- it sounds Nuts, I was too locked in.
"I was too tight. I was too in my own head thinking about what I need to do. How many points I need to score. It's a big moment. And today I was more myself.
"Pre-game, I was relaxed, laughing, joking. That's when I play my best, when I'm having fun. I just tried not to think about the pressure, what everybody is going to say. Just focus on the game and having fun."

Despite trailing 29-23 at the end of the first quarter, the Celtics showcased their resilience by mounting a strong comeback against a struggling 76ers offense. Philadelphia could only muster a mere 10 points throughout the entire third quarter, while Jayson Tatum alone accumulated an impressive 17 points during that period.

In addition to his scoring prowess, the 25-year-old superstar also led Joe Mazzulla's team in rebounds with 13 and assists with five. This collective effort propelled the 17-time champions to the Conference Finals for the second consecutive season, following their defeat to the Warriors in last year's NBA Finals.

Jaylen Brown also had a productive evening, contributing 25 points. However, the spotlight rightfully shone on Tatum, whose historic performance earned accolades from 76ers head coach Rivers, who described it as "unbelievable."

When asked if he had witnessed any other player deliver a similarly dominant individual display in the playoffs, Rivers responded,

"I've seen one. And it was in this building, unfortunately. And it was LeBron [James]."
"That's the only time I've seen a performance like that live and I'm glad that I haven't seen many. ... [Tatum was] unbelievable."

The Celtics are now gearing up for an intense Eastern Conference showdown against the Miami Heat, as they vie for a spot in the NBA Finals. The winner of this series will face either the Denver Nuggets or the Los Angeles Lakers, who are set to begin their Western Conference final on Tuesday night. Excitement looms as the Celtics aim to secure their spot in the ultimate stage of the NBA playoffs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back