Ilkay Gundogan Free to Seek New Club as Barcelona Faces Financial Challenges (1 Viewer)

Nnamdi

Legend
Local time
Today 12:25 PM
Credits
fc-barcelona-v-ssc-napoli-round-of-16-second-leg-uefa-champions-league-2023-24-scaled.jpg

Ilkay Gundogan is being given the chance to explore other options for leaving Barcelona this summer. The 33-year-old midfielder has only spent one full season with the Catalan club after joining on a free transfer from Manchester City.

Even though he’s under contract for two more years, Barcelona has made it clear they won’t block his move if he finds a suitable opportunity. Interest in Gundogan is reportedly coming from clubs in England, Spain, and Saudi Arabia. Last season, he made 51 appearances as Barcelona finished second in La Liga.

Barcelona coach Hansi Flick, who knows Gundogan well from their time with the Germany national team, addressed speculation about Gundogan's future after he missed Barcelona’s season-opening win against Valencia due to a concussion.

Flick said, "I know him very well. I appreciate him both as a player and as a person. We talked about everything, but that will remain between us. I have a feeling he will stay."

Flick wants to keep Gundogan, but Barcelona's complex financial situation may impact this decision. The club has had trouble registering new £51 million signing Dani Olmo due to La Liga’s squad cost control rules. Additionally, Barcelona is considering selling striker Vitor Roque before the transfer deadline.

Recently, Barcelona also announced the departure of captain Sergi Roberto and saw full-back Julian Araujo join Bournemouth last week.

On another note, Gundogan has announced his retirement from international football. After debuting for Germany in 2011 and earning 82 caps, he captained the team at this summer’s European Championship.

While he called it a "highlight," Gundogan admitted he had been feeling tired and is ready to focus on his club career.

fc-barcelona-v-ssc-napoli-round-of-16-second-leg-uefa-champions-league-2023-24-scaled.jpg

Ilkay Gundogan is being given the chance to explore other options for leaving Barcelona this summer. The 33-year-old midfielder has only spent one full season with the Catalan club after joining on a free transfer from Manchester City.

Even though he’s under contract for two more years, Barcelona has made it clear they won’t block his move if he finds a suitable opportunity. Interest in Gundogan is reportedly coming from clubs in England, Spain, and Saudi Arabia. Last season, he made 51 appearances as Barcelona finished second in La Liga.

Barcelona coach Hansi Flick, who knows Gundogan well from their time with the Germany national team, addressed speculation about Gundogan's future after he missed Barcelona’s season-opening win against Valencia due to a concussion.

Flick said, "I know him very well. I appreciate him both as a player and as a person. We talked about everything, but that will remain between us. I have a feeling he will stay."

Flick wants to keep Gundogan, but Barcelona's complex financial situation may impact this decision. The club has had trouble registering new £51 million signing Dani Olmo due to La Liga’s squad cost control rules. Additionally, Barcelona is considering selling striker Vitor Roque before the transfer deadline.

Recently, Barcelona also announced the departure of captain Sergi Roberto and saw full-back Julian Araujo join Bournemouth last week.

On another note, Gundogan has announced his retirement from international football. After debuting for Germany in 2011 and earning 82 caps, he captained the team at this summer’s European Championship.

While he called it a "highlight," Gundogan admitted he had been feeling tired and is ready to focus on his club career.
Barcelona again!

Barca is encountering problems navigating Financial Fair Play limits, and getting one of the highest salaries off the pay roll, which is Gundogan's, would go a long way towards registering new players such as Dani Olmo.Bet on the la liga season on betmelive and enjoy welcome bonus of $50.Gundogan took to X ,formerly known as Twitter, to congratulate his teammates for their heroic 2-1 comeback win at the Mestalla

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 4)
Back