Harry Maguire happy to have stayed back at Manchester United (1 Viewer)

skysports-harry-maguire-jonny-evans_6253777.jpg
Feeling revitalized, Manchester United defender Harry Maguire is confident that sticking around and competing for his spot at Old Trafford was the right call. Initially, the arrival of Erik ten Hag seemed to signal the end of Maguire's time with the Red Devils, as he found himself in a backup role behind the preferred duo of Raphael Varane and Lisandro Martinez.

Despite being behind Victor Lindelof and makeshift center-back Luke Shaw in the pecking order, Maguire remained committed. Even as Manchester United clinched the EFL Cup and secured a league-high 17 clean sheets, Maguire, who had also lost the captaincy to Bruno Fernandes, seemed destined for a summer transfer, with West Ham United as a potential destination.

However, negotiations fell through, and Maguire insisted on staying to prove himself to Ten Hag. Although he began the season on the bench, circumstances changed with Martinez's injury and Varane's fitness issues, opening the door for Maguire. Since the beginning of October, he has started all seven games, earning praise for his solid performances, including scoring the decisive goal in a 1-0 Champions League victory over Copenhagen.

Maguire played a crucial role in back-to-back 1-0 Premier League wins against Luton Town and Fulham, even completing the full 90 minutes against Fulham despite sustaining a head injury. Reflecting on his journey after the recent win against Luton, Maguire emphasized the importance of staying fit and expressed his genuine enjoyment of playing for the Red Devils.

"I had two or three opportunities to get a run of games but I broke down with illness and broke down with injuries twice, so I never got the rhythm and never got the run of games so I could prove myself to the manager. I really enjoy playing for this club and I was willing to stay and fight for my place."

"You use your experience and the memories you've had. I had to work hard in training to make sure I was ready," Maguire added. "There was a lot of talk about me because I wasn't playing games, but I was playing well for my country, went to the World Cup and always thought my form was there.

"But I am up against some top-level centre-backs and last year they were playing amazingly, so I didn't get as many opportunities as I would have liked. This club demands competition for places and that is what we have in my position."

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back