Erling Haaland equals Didier Drogba's scoring record (1 Viewer)

74232109-0-image-a-23_1691793538009.jpg
Erling Haaland has matched a Premier League scoring record previously set by Didier Drogba, marking his presence with a double in Manchester City's convincing 3-0 win over Burnley at Turf Moor on Friday night.

The Norwegian sensation made an unforgettable mark during his debut season with the Citizens, setting astonishing records. Across all competitions, he found the net 52 times in 53 matches for the treble-winning team, an exceptional feat that included 36 goals in the Premier League.

Haaland's introduction to the English top-flight was remarkable, clinching two goals in a 2-0 victory against West Ham United in Manchester City's inaugural game of the previous season. This time around, he repeated the feat by scoring twice against Burnley. His first goal arrived in just the fourth minute, a stunning first-time volley into the bottom corner after a well-placed header from Rodri within the penalty area.

The 22-year-old wasn't done yet. He further extended City's advantage with a magnificent left-footed strike off the crossbar, nine minutes before half-time. Rodri sealed the deal with a close-range finish in the 75th minute. Haaland's accomplishment now places him alongside former Chelsea striker Drogba as only the second player in Premier League history to score at least two goals in a team's opening match of consecutive seasons.

Drogba achieved this milestone with Chelsea, netting twice against Hull City in 2009-10 and following up with a hat-trick against West Bromwich Albion the next season.

Haaland's impressive scoring tally now spans 17 out of the 20 Premier League teams he has faced since his time with Man City began. Furthermore, his career boasts 99 goals in Europe's top-five leagues, featuring strikes against 35 out of 40 opponents, including both Manchester City and Borussia Dortmund.

Named the Man of the Match, City's No.9 expressed his satisfaction with the strong initiation into the new campaign, stating to mancity.com:
"It was good to start again. It's been two months, so good to start with a win of course.

"We did it quite controlled, we did quite well. We're in the starting phase of this marathon. It's about not stressing, to relax and to focus on ourselves.
"At half time we planned exactly what to do in the second half. We could have scored more. It's a good start being the first game of the season.

"I just have to keep on working, keep on relaxing and keep on not thinking too much. To not focus on negative things and it was a great goal [first goal].

"Then Julian [Alvarez] got a lot of space. So I knew if I got the ball I had to shoot. I was thinking I had to finish it if I got it and I did it quite well. It's a good finish [second goal]."

Haaland also expressed his delight to work under manager Pep Guardiola, adding:
"Everyone has been seeing that I am developing. I try my best every day. "It's a pleasure working with Pep. I don't think there's anyone better to be working with as a young player.

"I have to keep developing and enjoy the chaos around me and keep doing what I do on the pitch. People forget fast that we are treble winners. We have to chase things again I guess."

Can Erling Haaland break the 40 goal mark this season? Let's hear your thoughts below :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back