Barcelona Offers Xavi Two-Year Contract Extension (1 Viewer)

Welcome! You have been invited by Tayus442 to join our community. Please click here to register.

Wonderboy

Staff member
Local time
Today 4:45 PM
Credits
Nigeria
barca offers xavi contract extension
Reports suggest that Barcelona has proposed an extension of head coach Xavi's contract until the conclusion of the 2025-26 season. Xavi's current agreement with the Catalan side is set to expire in June 2024. However, he confirmed that negotiations were underway for an extension.

Barcelona has reached out to Xavi's representatives, as per Marca, and presented the club icon with the opportunity to ink a deal until the summer of 2026. Despite his statement about staying at Camp Nou indefinitely, Xavi is presently concentrating on the remainder of the 2022-23 season.

"I would stay at Barcelona all my life, it's my home, but I depend on results," Xavi said recently when asked about the speculation surrounding a potential new contract.
"Joan [Laporta] is my friend. Barcelona is very lucky to have a president like him. He's very reliable and he's a straight shooter. For me, he is a friend.
"This is not about money or contract years, but about wanting the club to do well. The day I feel I don't convince the players, I'll go home. First, the results. Then we'll talk about my future."

There were previous speculations that Xavi's difficulties in Europe might lead to a review of his position. Barcelona failed to progress from the group stage of the Champions League this season and was eliminated from the Europa League playoff knockout round by Manchester United. They also lost to Real Madrid 4-0 in the second leg of their Copa del Rey semi-final, causing them to exit the competition. However, Xavi secured his first trophy as head coach by defeating Real Madrid to win the Spanish Super Cup earlier this year.

At present, Barcelona dominates the La Liga table, holding a commanding position at the top, with 13 points clear of second-placed Real Madrid, having played the same number of games.

Xavi resumed his role as head coach of Barcelona in November 2021 and has overseen 80 matches for the club, registering 50 wins, 15 draws, and 15 losses. He is widely considered one of the greatest midfielders in football history and played for Barcelona from 1998 to 2015 before finishing his career with Al-Sadd, whom he managed from May 2019 to November 2021.

On Monday, the Catalan side was held to a goalless draw by Girona in the league and will be looking to get back to winning ways when they visit Getafe on Sunday afternoon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back