Andy Murray knocked out of Indian Wells Masters by Andrey Rublev (1 Viewer)

Boma123

Local time
Today 6:42 AM
Credits
SEI194849980.jpg
Andy Murray, the former world number one, faced a tough loss against Andrey Rublev in the second round of the Indian Wells Masters. Despite putting up a strong fight and having answers to the fifth seed's powerful shots, Murray couldn't capitalize on some crucial opportunities.

Despite the crowd's support, the 36-year-old missed chances to win the first set and ultimately lost 6-7[3] 1-6 to the Russian in a match lasting one hour and 48 minutes.

"He had a lot of chances in the first set and I was lucky to win. Had I lost it, it would have been really, really tough," Rublev said during his post-match media duties. "After the first set I felt more confidence and I knew that it would be even tougher for Andy to keep up his consistency."

In their previous two ATP Tour encounters, each player had claimed a victory, with their last meeting dating back to the 2021 Rotterdam Open, where Rublev secured a straight-sets win.

The first set of their match saw nine consecutive holds, with Murray impressing the crowd with a remarkable passing cross-court backhand. Murray managed to establish a 40-0 lead on Rublev's serve while aiming to close out the set, but the Russian managed to save all three break points, repeating the feat once again.

Rublev seized control in the tie-breaker, firing a couple of winners past Murray to take a 1-0 lead. However, his opening hold in the second set was anything but smooth, as he committed four unforced errors in that game alone.

However, Murray's last hold to 30 was the final highlight for him in the match. Rublev took advantage of Murray's increasing number of double faults and unforced errors. Despite having six break point opportunities, Murray couldn't convert any of them, ultimately leading to his exit from the tournament.

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back