Tony Parker and Gregg Popovich reunite at hall of fame induction ceremony (1 Viewer)

Welcome! You have been invited by Xalil to join our community. Please click here to register.
063_1592921252.jpg
On Saturday, the Basketball Hall of Fame welcomed a prestigious group of inductees, including Tony Parker, Pau Gasol, Dirk Nowitzki, and Dwayne Wade. The legendary San Antonio Spurs coach, Gregg Popovich, also joined these luminaries in the induction.

The Class of 2023 celebrated a diverse array of basketball excellence, honoring the global impact of the sport. French guard Tony Parker, German forward Dirk Nowitzki, Spanish center Pau Gasol, and American guard Dwayne Wade came together as representatives of international talent. Notably, 74-year-old Gregg Popovich, who has served as the head coach of the Spurs since 1996, also earned his rightful place among the inductees.

"It's a powerhouse class, really," Gasol said. "I'm humbled and very lucky to be a part of this class with all these amazing people."

"I feel like I made it somewhere," Wade said. "I'm just enjoying the moment."

Parker was a four-time NBA champion with San Antonio, a six-time NBA All-Star and the 2007 NBA Finals Most Valuable Player.

"It was an unbelievable journey," Parker said. "I never thought somebody like me can experience something like that. For all the kids who are watching, keep dreaming big."

Parker's voice trembled with emotion as he expressed gratitude to his family and honored both his American and French roots, stating,

"I felt like I had the best of both cultures and it helped me on my journey."

"When I was in France, they would say, 'You're too small. You're too skinny. You'll never make it.' Well, I'm the one who is laughing now."

Parker shone as a prominent player for Popovich's Spurs between 2001 and 2018, concluding his NBA journey with the Charlotte Hornets in 2019.

To Popovich, Parker said,

"You're unbelievable. You threw me in the fire at 19 years old... You've always been a second dad to me, Pop. Everything you did for my family and me I appreciate it. Thank you. I love you."

Popovich said of Parker:

"I was very tough on him and expected a lot out of him. I'm very proud of what he has accomplished."

Popovich, holding the record for the lengthiest tenure among all North American professional sports coaches, steered the Spurs to secure five championships and clinched the prestigious NBA Coach of the Year award on three occasions. Additionally, he led the US national basketball team, comprised of NBA stars, to a gold medal triumph at the Tokyo Olympics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back