Pep Guardiola: 'Jurgen Klopp and Liverpool have made me a better manager' (1 Viewer)

21_Premier-League-Manchester-City-v-Liverpool.jpg
Pep Guardiola of Manchester City acknowledges that Jurgen Klopp of Liverpool has played a role in shaping him into a "better manager," expressing admiration for the German coach ahead of their Premier League clash on Saturday.

The ongoing rivalry between Guardiola and Klopp spans over a decade, involving Guardiola's management of both Manchester City and Bayern Munich, while Klopp has led both Liverpool and Borussia Dortmund.

The two managers have crossed paths 28 times, marking the highest number of encounters with any coach throughout their careers. In this series, Klopp has claimed victory 11 times, surpassing Guardiola's 10 wins.

Since Guardiola's arrival at the Etihad Stadium in 2016, memorable battles between Manchester City and Liverpool have unfolded, with both clubs asserting dominance in English and European football.

Despite Liverpool securing only one Premier League title during this period and facing a less impressive season in 2022-23, the team has undergone rebuilding and appears poised to challenge Manchester City, who have clinched five of the last six top-flight titles. Currently, Klopp's side sits just one point behind Guardiola's team at the top of the table after 12 games.

In a Friday press conference, Guardiola openly discussed his relationship with Klopp and lauded the positive impact the German coach has had at Liverpool.

"I think we are all friends," said the Catalan boss. "We know each other quite well. Of course, the time goes forward Jurgen has been eight years at Liverpool and of course it's not the same players since the start. He has rebuilt the team.

"Trent Alexander-Arnold can play inside and outside. But the idea is quite similar and always been our best rivals some seasons done well with injuries they have. Top club and team. Looking forward to it."

Asked if Klopp has pushed him to become a better manager, Guardiola said: "Absolutely, he made me better, part of when you are many years in this business, him and his teams, here and Borussia Dortmund always been big rivals, good games for both, positive approach and always attractive.

"He made me a better manager through his teams, and of course the way we play is good with the transitions, the runs, they are a fantastic team, a top side, no doubt."

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back