Manchester City overtakes Liverpool to break UCL record with Red Star win (1 Viewer)

images_GettyImages_mmsport_90min_en_international_web_01hhja4wqw67jfa4zfy3-scaled.jpg
Manchester City achieved a historic feat in the Champions League by breaking a winning record following their 3-2 victory against Red Star Belgrade in Serbia during the last Group G match on Wednesday night.

Despite the match being a dead-rubber fixture with City already securing a spot in the last 16 as group winners, manager Pep Guardiola opted for significant changes, making nine adjustments to the starting lineup.

A standout moment came with the inclusion of academy graduate Micah Hamilton in the starting XI, making his senior debut. Hamilton marked the occasion by scoring the opening goal in the 19th minute, unleashing a powerful strike from a tight angle that beat Red Star goalkeeper Omri Glazer.

Another highlight from City's academy was man-of-the-match Oscar Bobb, who doubled the lead just after the hour mark with his first senior goal. Bobb skillfully navigated the Red Star defense, curling a left-footed shot into the bottom corner.

Red Star managed to pull one back through Hwang In-beom, but Hamilton earned City a penalty in the 84th minute, paving the way for Kalvin Phillips, making a rare first-team appearance, to score his first goal for the club and extend the lead.

Despite Red Star scoring again in stoppage time, City held on to maintain their flawless record in Group G. This victory not only made them the second English club, after Liverpool in 2021-22, to win all six group-stage games in a single Champions League campaign but also marked their eighth successive win in the competition, a first in English club history.

Reflecting on his maiden goal for Manchester City, Oscar Bobb shared his thoughts with TNT Sports.
"What a feeling. In front of our great fans and it was a pleasure. It was a very good atmosphere in the stadium.

"[It was] hostile, but we knew what we wanted to do as a team and in the end we got there.

"If I remember right, I think Rico [Lewis] intercepts, gets forward and gives me the ball. He makes a run [which] drags the defender with him. cut outside and inside and just get it in the far corner. [I felt] relief, happiness, everything."

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back