Lionel Messi speaks on his retirement plans (1 Viewer)

Daksh

Local time
Tomorrow 3:36 AM
Credits
82971785-0-image-a-15_1711575230161.jpg
Inter Miami forward Lionel Messi has shared that retirement isn't on his mind just yet. Despite being 36 years old, Messi remains a force to be reckoned with, both for his club and his country. Last summer, he bid farewell to his illustrious European career to embark on a new journey in MLS with Inter Miami, where he's quickly made an impact.

In his 19 matches for Inter Miami, Messi has been directly involved in 23 goals - scoring 16 himself and providing seven assists. His contributions helped Inter Miami secure the Leagues Cup in his early months with the team.

Even in the current 2024 season, Messi has already scored five goals in as many games, although he missed Argentina's recent friendlies in March due to a muscle injury.

There's uncertainty about Messi's availability for Inter Miami's upcoming MLS clash with New York City, given his age and injury concerns. Naturally, questions about retirement have arisen, but Messi remains focused on his immediate goals. He aims to lead Argentina in the Copa America later this year and has even expressed openness to helping his country defend their World Cup title in 2026.

In an interview with The Big Time Podcast, Messi stated that he'll retire when he feels his performance levels dip below his own standards. For now, he's committed to continuing on the pitch for a bit longer.
"I know that the moment I feel that I am no longer able to perform, that I no longer enjoy [playing] or [can] help my teammates, I will quit," the Argentine said. "I'm very self-critical of myself, I know when I'm good, when I'm bad, when I'm playing well and when I'm playing badly.

"When I feel it's time to take that step, I'll take it without thinking about age. If I feel good, I'll always try to keep competing because it's what I like and I know how to do.

"I haven't yet thought of what I'm going to do when I retire. Today I try to enjoy the day to day, the moments, without thinking about life after [football]. I'm not sure about anything yet.

"I hope to keep playing for a while longer, which is what I like to do. When the time comes, I will surely find a way to fulfil myself and do what I like, and [find] a new role.

"On a sporting level I was lucky enough to be able to achieve all my dreams and the truth is that I can't ask for more. Thank God he gave me [everything] both professionally and on a human level, as well as my family, my friends. I try to enjoy everything God has given me so far, which is a lot."

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back