Jurgen Klopp applauds Joe Gomez 'lifesaving' performance to help Liverpool reach EFL Cup final (1 Viewer)

MartinGee

Incredible Mister 💪
Staff member
Local time
Today 5:08 PM
Credits
United-States
0_GettyImages-1855551258.jpg
Liverpool's coach, Jurgen Klopp, praised Joe Gomez for his outstanding performance, which he described as "life-saving," as Liverpool secured a spot in the EFL Cup final after drawing 1-1 with Fulham in the second leg of their semi-final match.

Gomez, normally a center-back, had to step up and play as a left-back due to injuries to Kostas Tsimikas and Andrew Robertson, as well as Luke Chambers being loaned to Wigan Athletic.

Despite Robertson being available for selection for the first time since his shoulder injury in October, Gomez continued in his left-back role during Wednesday's match at Craven Cottage.

Although Gomez hasn't scored a goal for Liverpool yet, he made crucial defensive contributions during the game, including two blocks, one tackle, and two clearances, effectively neutralizing Fulham's attacks.

While Robertson is back to full fitness and Trent Alexander-Arnold is expected to return soon from his knee injury, Gomez may find himself back in a rotational role. However, Klopp had nothing but praise for Gomez during the post-match press conference, highlighting his importance to the team despite the potential return of other key players.

"Without Joe nothing would've happened in the last pretty much 13 [or] 14 weeks since Robbo [Andy Robertson] is out," Klopp said. "Yes, because he could play there, but the things we could do with Trent [Alexander-Arnold] when we brought Joey on, I don't exactly [know] how many games [he] played now this year, but I would say 20-something already.

"Not only games, [he] played exceptional today again. He's a real defender and he comes inside. He's doing that really well. He tried a couple of times obviously to finish the discussion about not scoring. I would say for my taste from a bit too far but it's still alright.

"He is a life-saver, to be honest, that he was here, that he could play, and people forget how important Joey was in the best years we had. I don't know how many games he played in the year when we became champions and how many games he played when we won the Champions League. A lot and rightly so because he's a top-class player."

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back