Is Roberto Carlos the greatest left back in football history? (1 Viewer)

PeterPan

Legend
Local time
Yesterday 6:26 PM
Credits
South-Africa
images
Former Real Madrid, Inter Milan and Anzhi Makachkala left back, Roberto Carlos had a distinctive personality during his playing days!

Bald head, shirt tucked into shorts, smile on his face, ready for action. He starts and finishes the game with the same energy.

Carlos was a standout player in his era at his position. Ask any coach about him and they’ll tell you, "The train... I wish he was on my team."

He was just as crucial in defense as he was in attack. He played as a left-back but often acted like a winger too. In his first 10 matches with Inter, he scored 7 goals! He was only 168 cm tall, but his left foot was deadly... defying the laws of physics. Just ask Barthez. Some say his thigh circumference was 64 cm.

He’s the second most capped player in Brazilian national team history with 125 matches, just behind Marcos Cafu.

Jorge Valdano once said about him,

"I’ve seen players with power, speed, skill, and passion for the shirt... then I saw Roberto Carlos. He had all of these. I don’t think we’ll ever see another like him."

Carlos was known for his blistering pace, superb crossing skills and thunderous shots!

His outrageous freekick goal against France in a four nations tournament before the World Cup in 98 remains one of the greatest freekick goals of all time, and ultimately cemented his place as an all time great.

So! My question is, did Roberto Carlos do enough to be regarded as the greatest left back of all time?

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back