Iga Swiatek overcomes Aryna Sabalenka to reach WTA Finals (1 Viewer)

skysports-iga-swiatek-tennis_6344962.jpg
Iga Swiatek is set to face Jessica Pegula in the highly anticipated WTA Finals showdown after a convincing semifinal victory over Aryna Sabalenka on Sunday. Swiatek, currently ranked as the world number two, is poised to overtake Sabalenka at the top of the rankings and secure the year-end number one position with a victory against Pegula.

She triumphed with a score of 6-3, 6-2, following a rain delay that briefly halted the match, marking her first-ever appearance in the Cancun final. Criticism of the WTA's choice of venue for the year-end Championships was widespread, and the match was suspended after just three games due to another rain shower.

This unexpected break appeared to benefit Swiatek, as she broke Sabalenka's serve in the fourth game and held off a break-back attempt to take a commanding 4-1 lead. Although she missed the opportunity for a double break, Swiatek comfortably claimed the opening set with a couple of love holds. In the second set, relentless pressure on Sabalenka's serve allowed the French Open champion to secure a one-set and one-break advantage.

Swiatek maintained her lead, winning 86% of points behind her first serve and keeping Sabalenka at bay. Sabalenka's fate was sealed when she lost her serve again in the seventh game. Serving for a spot in the Championship match, Swiatek delivered a powerful serve on match point, met with a weary forehand from Sabalenka, who netted the final shot, sending the 22-year-old to the final.

Swiatek has now claimed six wins out of nine top-level encounters with Sabalenka, seeking redemption for her loss to the Belarusian in the 2022 semi-finals. Despite her impressive performance, Swiatek humbly stated that the year-end number one ranking still feels like "a long way away."
"It hasn't been easy during the whole week, so I'm happy that today I could get even better, and for sure it was tough even though it says 6-3, 6-2. Every point was important, and every game was tight," Swiatek commented during the post-match press conference. "I feel like it's still a long way away because I feel like tomorrow's match will be the toughest one. We can talk about it tomorrow after the match. I'm just going to continue doing what I've been doing in recent days."

In her quest for her first WTA Finals crown, Swiatek will have to face an in-form Pegula, who achieved group-stage victories over Sabalenka, Elena Rybakina, and Maria Sakkari, and secured her spot in the final with a commanding 6-2, 6-1 win over US Open winner Coco Gauff.

Pegula has the opportunity to become the first WTA Finals competitor to defeat all four top-ranked players in a single tournament, having previously defeated Swiatek in their most recent encounter during this year's Canadian Open semifinals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back