Bill Foley Speaks Against Playing Premier League Games Outside England (1 Viewer)

Nnamdi

Legend
Local time
Today 5:07 AM
Credits
LB-OFF-Bill-Foley-copy.jpg

Bournemouth's owner, Bill Foley, has made it clear that he does not support the idea of playing Premier League games outside of England. During a conversation with BBC Sport in Santa Barbara, where his club is on a pre-season tour in the United States, Foley emphasized his respect for the game and its fans.

In May, FIFA announced it was exploring the possibility of hosting domestic matches abroad, but the Premier League has stated it has no such plans. In contrast, Spain's La Liga is considering holding games in the U.S. during the 2025-26 season. Bournemouth is one of ten Premier League teams playing pre-season matches in the U.S. this summer.

"I believe pre-season games, like what we're doing now, are the way to go," Foley said. "Playing actual Premier League matches in America? They should stay in the UK. That’s where they belong. I respect our fans and the entire system. I wouldn't want to change any of that. If you ask Bournemouth fans, they'll tell you Foley respects our system and heritage. And I do. Premier League games in America? No."

Foley purchased Bournemouth for £120 million in December 2022. Despite the club finishing 15th, he controversially sacked manager Gary O’Neil in June 2023. His decision paid off as the team finished 12th under new manager Andoni Iraola.

Bournemouth is part of a multi-club ownership model that includes Foley's Black Knights Sports and Entertainment group, which also holds significant stakes in French club Lorient, A League's Auckland FC, and Scottish Premiership side Hibernian.

Foley also discussed Bournemouth's European ambitions and the future of striker Dominic Solanke, who scored 19 goals in the Premier League last season. Solanke has a release clause reportedly around £65 million. Foley believes Solanke will stay with Bournemouth next season and aims for him to score 21 or 22 goals.

Regarding European ambitions, Foley said, "We have big aspirations but are patient. Our goal this year is modest: to reach the top eight or nine, maybe even sneak into Europe. Our ultimate goal is to play in Europe and give our players that experience."

Foley believes the multi-club strategy makes these ambitions realistic. "We are building a great team with younger players and being careful with our approach. We're not a sovereign wealth fund or private equity; we're just Americans who bought a team. We have a multi-club strategy, promoting players from one club to another. Our goal is to create a path to the Premier League for these players. If we succeed, we'll be competitive without heavy financial strain."

Foley also provided an update on Tyler Adams, who is recovering from a back injury. "He’s been unlucky with injuries, but he’s seeing one of the best back surgeons in America. It will be three months before he’s back, but once he is, he’ll be phenomenal. He’s a leader and will be a key defensive midfielder for us."

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back