Vinicius Jr Ready to Walk Off the Pitch to Combat Racism (1 Viewer)

Nnamdi

Legend
Local time
Today 9:51 AM
Credits
gettyimages-1492074905.jpg

Real Madrid forward Vinicius Jr has made it clear that he and his teammates will not hesitate to leave the pitch if they encounter any more racist abuse this season.

The Brazilian star, who has been vocal about the racism he's faced, expressed his frustration and determination to take a stand during a recent interview with CNN.

Earlier this year, Vinicius Jr broke down in tears during a press conference, revealing how the repeated abuse had made him feel "less and less" like playing football. Now, he is resolute in his stance,

stating that Real Madrid players will walk off the field if the situation arises again. "We do need to leave the field so things can change as soon as possible," he emphasized.

This strong stance follows the sentencing of three Valencia fans to eight months in prison for racially abusing Vinicius during a match on May 21, 2023. The fans were found guilty of committing a "crime against moral integrity" with an "aggravating circumstance of discrimination based on racist motives."

Vinicius Jr believes that stopping matches might be the only way to eradicate racism from football entirely. He shared that the issue is a frequent topic of discussion at the club, and it's not just his fight his teammates are equally committed.

"Not just me, but all the players said that if that happens, the next time everyone has to leave the field," the 24-year-old forward explained. He hopes this collective action will impose a heavier penalty on those who insult them.

Vinicius also noted that there has been a noticeable shift in Spain's attitude towards racism, with fans becoming more cautious about expressing racist views, especially in settings with heavy camera surveillance. "Today I already see and feel the difference in Spain," he said. "Maybe [some fans] are still racists but nowadays they are afraid to express themselves in the football field."

While Vinicius acknowledges that ending racism completely might not be possible, he's optimistic about the progress being made, saying, "I'm already happy that I'm being able to change Spain's mindset."

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 1)
Back