Uruguayan Defender Juan Izquierdo Passes Away After On-Field Collapse (1 Viewer)

Nnamdi

Legend
Local time
Today 9:45 AM
Credits

112851958.jpg

Nacional defender Juan Izquierdo has tragically passed away after collapsing on the pitch during a Copa Libertadores match earlier this month due to an irregular heartbeat. The 27-year-old Uruguayan suffered a cardiac arrest during Nacional's game against Sao Paulo on August 22.

Following his collapse, Izquierdo was immediately treated on the field before being rushed to Albert Einstein Hospital in Sao Paulo, where he was initially reported to be in stable condition. Unfortunately, his condition deteriorated over the following days.

Nacional announced the heartbreaking news of his passing, stating, "It is with the deepest sorrow and shock in our hearts that the Club Nacional announces the death of our beloved player Juan Izquierdo. We express our most sincere condolences to his family, friends, colleagues, and loved ones. All of Nacional is in mourning for his irreparable loss."

The news sent shockwaves through the football community. A spokesperson for Sao Paulo, the Brazilian club that faced Nacional during the match, called it a "sad day for football."

Inter Miami striker Luis Suarez expressed his grief, saying, "Pain, sadness, it is hard to explain. May he rest in peace. I wish a lot of strength for his family and friends."

FIFA President Gianni Infantino also conveyed his condolences, adding, "I am deeply saddened to learn of the tragic passing of Uruguayan footballer Juan Izquierdo. On behalf of FIFA and the entire footballing community, I would like to express my sincere condolences to his family and friends. RIP."

Izquierdo had been placed on a ventilator and was under neurological care since the incident. He had come on as a half-time substitute during the match and collapsed in the 84th minute without any contact from another player.

The tragic loss led to the postponement of Uruguay's first and second division leagues over the weekend as the football community mourned. Adding to the heartbreak, it was reported by Spanish newspaper El Pais that Izquierdo's wife had given birth to the couple's second child just ten days before his collapse.

Izquierdo had no known heart condition prior to the incident, making his sudden passing all the more shocking and devastating for his loved ones and the wider football community.

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 2)
Back