Thierry Henry Resigns as France Under-21s Manager After Olympic Silver Success (1 Viewer)

Nnamdi

Legend
Local time
Today 8:09 PM
Credits
thierry-henry-france-5573532.jpg

Thierry Henry has stepped down as the manager of France’s Under-21 football team, shortly after guiding them to a silver medal at the 2024 Olympics. The 47-year-old had taken on the role in 2023, signing a two-year contract.

During the Paris Games, Henry led the under-23 squad, who put up a strong fight on home soil but ultimately fell short in the final, losing 5-3 to Spain in extra time.

Though his contract was supposed to last until after the 2025 European Under-21 Championship in Slovakia, Henry has chosen to leave the position early. Reflecting on his time in charge,

Henry said in a statement, “Winning the silver medal at the Olympic Games for my country will remain one of the greatest prides of my life. I am incredibly grateful to the federation, the players, the staff, and the supporters who allowed me to live a magical experience.”

The France Football Federation expressed regret over Henry’s departure but acknowledged that he had met the goals set for him. Under Henry’s leadership, the Under-21 team won four of their six matches, while the Olympic team secured eight victories out of eleven, with notable performances from overage players like Alexandre Lacazette and Jean-Philippe Mateta.

France had an impressive run in the Olympic tournament, topping their group after victories over the USA, Guinea, and New Zealand. They continued their strong performance by defeating Argentina and Egypt in the knockout stages, before their final loss to Spain.

Henry earned 123 caps for France and scored 51 goals during his illustrious playing career.

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 2)
Back