Suarez Announces International Retirement After 17 Years (1 Viewer)

Nnamdi

Legend
Local time
Today 8:20 PM
Credits
images

Uruguayan striker Luis Suarez has officially announced his retirement from international football.

At 37, Suarez fought back tears as he shared that Uruguay's upcoming World Cup qualifier against Paraguay this Saturday (00:30 BST) will mark his final appearance for his country.

Suarez, a former star for Liverpool and Barcelona, leaves an indelible mark as Uruguay's all-time leading scorer, with 69 goals in 142 matches. His journey with the national team began in February 2007, when he made his debut against Colombia.

Reflecting on his decision, Suarez said, "I've been thinking about this a lot and I believe now is the right time. I want to be at peace when I play my last game with the national team. I'll be just as excited as I was back in 2007 when I first wore the Uruguay jersey."

He continued, "That 19-year-old kid has grown into a veteran player, an older player however you want to put it with an incredible history with the national team. I'll give everything I have for this team."

Suarez's career with Uruguay spanned nine major international tournaments. One of his most memorable moments came in the 2010 World Cup quarter-final, where he was sent off for a controversial handball that stopped Ghana from scoring in the final minute of extra time.

Although he was expelled from the match, Uruguay advanced to the semi-finals after Ghana missed the subsequent penalty and Uruguay won the shootout.

In 2011, Suarez played a key role in leading Uruguay to Copa America glory in Argentina, finishing as the tournament's second top scorer with four goals.

However, his career wasn't without controversy. During the 2014 World Cup, Suarez scored twice to help Uruguay defeat England in the group stages but was banned for four months after biting Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini. This incident also led to a nine-game international suspension, causing him to miss the 2015 Copa America.

Reflecting on his career during his retirement press conference, Suarez acknowledged the challenges, saying, "We faced many difficult moments. For me, personally, the hardest was after my big mistake in 2014. But I have no regrets."

Suarez continued to represent Uruguay in the 2018 and 2022 World Cups, and he played in five editions of the Copa America, cementing his legacy as one of the greatest players in Uruguayan football history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 2)
Back