Riyad Mahrez explains why he decided to leave Manchester City for Al-Ahli (1 Viewer)

omobadee

Local time
Today 12:54 AM
Credits
74847669-0-image-a-14_1693339023679.jpg
Algerian winger, Riyad Mahrez, has openly shared that he still has some unfinished business in the Champions League. Despite his successful five-year stint at Manchester City, where he contributed significantly with 78 goals and 59 assists in 236 games, the 32-year-old winger made the decision to move on in the summer and join Saudi Arabian club Al-Ahli.

During his time at the Etihad Stadium, Mahrez was a key player under manager Pep Guardiola, winning a total of 11 trophies, including four Premier League titles.

In the previous season, Mahrez played a pivotal role in Manchester City's historic Premier League, FA Cup, and Champions League treble, featuring in 47 matches across all competitions. However, towards the latter part of the 2022-23 campaign, he found himself on the sidelines for some crucial games. Notably, he was not included in the starting lineup for the Champions League semi-final against Real Madrid and the final against Inter Milan, where he remained an unused substitute.

Expressing his disappointment over the limited first-team opportunities during such a crucial phase for Manchester City, Mahrez revealed that his decision to leave was influenced by both the desire to address his Champions League aspirations and the financial incentives presented by Al-Ahli. In an interview with L'Equipe, Mahrez discussed his perspective on the move.

"I had two years left on my contract with Manchester City, I could have stayed. It was really me who decided to leave.

"I felt that this opportunity (to join Al-Ahli) would not come again. Maybe it was time to leave because I had spent five years at City and won everything.

"To be honest, I still have a taste of unfinished business. In the Champions League, I did not play the semi-final or the final. In previous seasons, I always started in the Champions League while always being impactful for my team.

"This last year, I couldn't say it went badly, but I have a bit of this feeling of unfinished business. I was offered four years in Saudi Arabia, in a Muslim country where I can definitely protect my family. There was also a new challenge and a new project, so I decided to leave. It wasn't a big deal."

Mahrez also stated that he holds "no regrets" about his decision to leave Manchester City, despite the efforts of both Guardiola and sporting director Txiki Begiristain to convince him to stay with the club.

"Txiki Begiristain really wanted me to stay, and even Pep Guardiola," Mahrez added. "They made it clear to me. I weighed the pros and cons, and finally, I decided to leave. I don't regret it, I'm happy to be here.

"The level of the Saudi league is not bad. It's going to get better and better. It's a championship that I'm learning. Here, they have put the resources into recruiting the best players. There's definitely quality, I think it's just the beginning.

"Can we compare it to Europe? I don't think so yet. But at this rate, in the near future, they can be among the five, six or seven best Championships in the world."

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back