Mikel Arteta unhappy penalty decision in Chelsea stalemate (1 Viewer)

arteta-chelsea-2.png
Arsenal's manager, Mikel Arteta, expressed strong sympathy for defender William Saliba regarding the penalty awarded against him in the Gunners' 2-2 draw with Chelsea on Saturday evening.

Despite the unusual circumstances, Arsenal maintained their unbeaten start to the Premier League season, staging a remarkable comeback from a two-goal deficit to secure a share of the points with a second-half rally.

Throughout most of the match, the visiting team struggled, and Chelsea rightfully took the lead in the 15th minute when Cole Palmer successfully converted a penalty. This penalty was awarded due to a handball committed by Saliba when he leaped for an aerial duel with Mykhaylo Mudryk and unintentionally blocked the Ukrainian's header with his outstretched arm.

There's a valid argument to be made that Saliba's arm movement was simply a natural part of his jump, but the penalty was given in accordance with the rules, reigniting the ongoing debate over the modern interpretation of handball.

Arteta, who had received a booking for his protests, was cautious in his comments during his post-game press conference. He did, however, suggest that it was "mechanically impossible" for Saliba not to move his arm in that direction while jumping.

"I already mentioned it to the referee, and I got booked for that, so I prefer to make no comment. I wasn't happy with the yellow there," arsenal.com quotes the Spaniard as saying.

"Well, the law is clear as well in where the ball has to be in relation to the action and it's very close. It's impossible to jump without lifting your hands, it's just mechanically impossible."

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back