Maresca Defends Playing Style After Chelsea's Draw with Wrexham (1 Viewer)

Nnamdi

Legend
Local time
Today 5:18 AM
Credits
Maresca%20Chelsea%20Wrexham%20GFX.jpg
Chelsea manager Enzo Maresca acknowledged that his team "will concede goals this season playing out from the back" following two defensive errors in a 2-2 draw with Wrexham in his first game in charge.

Midfielder Lesley Ugochukwu scored an 82nd-minute equalizer in Santa Clara, California, after two second-half goals from the League One side. Christopher Nkunku had opened the scoring with a sharp finish in the 35th minute during Chelsea's opening friendly of their pre-season tour in the United States.

Wrexham took a surprise lead after both teams made extensive substitutions at halftime, with Luke Bolton and Jack Marriott scoring after defensive mistakes by Chelsea.

These errors highlighted a shaky second-half performance as Chelsea adjusts to Maresca's possession-based strategy.

Wrexham continued to impress, following their 1-1 draw against Bournemouth, in a half-empty Levi's Stadium, home of the San Francisco 49ers. This marks the Welsh club's second consecutive US pre-season tour, driven by their growing popularity under co-owners, Hollywood actors Rob McElhenney and Ryan Reynolds, as Phil Parkinson's side prepares for third-tier football for the first time since 2005.

When asked about conceding goals through his playing philosophy, Maresca explained, "Hopefully, not too many. It is one of the risks you take when trying to build from the back."

The 44-year-old former Leicester boss confirmed he would "absolutely" continue with his style, adding, "I have no doubt. I think you are going to concede in different ways, so you need to decide in which way you will concede a goal. Teams that build from the back sometimes concede goals, but I believe you will score more than you concede. We have many things to improve on, but we just started two weeks ago. Tonight was important to start seeing the identity of the team, and the identity is there."

Maresca%20Chelsea%20Wrexham%20GFX.jpg
Chelsea manager Enzo Maresca acknowledged that his team "will concede goals this season playing out from the back" following two defensive errors in a 2-2 draw with Wrexham in his first game in charge.

Midfielder Lesley Ugochukwu scored an 82nd-minute equalizer in Santa Clara, California, after two second-half goals from the League One side. Christopher Nkunku had opened the scoring with a sharp finish in the 35th minute during Chelsea's opening friendly of their pre-season tour in the United States.

Wrexham took a surprise lead after both teams made extensive substitutions at halftime, with Luke Bolton and Jack Marriott scoring after defensive mistakes by Chelsea.

These errors highlighted a shaky second-half performance as Chelsea adjusts to Maresca's possession-based strategy.

Wrexham continued to impress, following their 1-1 draw against Bournemouth, in a half-empty Levi's Stadium, home of the San Francisco 49ers. This marks the Welsh club's second consecutive US pre-season tour, driven by their growing popularity under co-owners, Hollywood actors Rob McElhenney and Ryan Reynolds, as Phil Parkinson's side prepares for third-tier football for the first time since 2005.

When asked about conceding goals through his playing philosophy, Maresca explained, "Hopefully, not too many. It is one of the risks you take when trying to build from the back."

The 44-year-old former Leicester boss confirmed he would "absolutely" continue with his style, adding, "I have no doubt. I think you are going to concede in different ways, so you need to decide in which way you will concede a goal. Teams that build from the back sometimes concede goals, but I believe you will score more than you concede. We have many things to improve on, but we just started two weeks ago. Tonight was important to start seeing the identity of the team, and the identity is there."
Too early for excuses

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back