Manchester United Secures Bayern Munich Duo De Ligt and Mazraoui in £60m Deal (1 Viewer)

Nnamdi

Legend
Local time
Today 8:26 PM
Credits
United-new-signings.jpg.webp

Manchester United have completed the signing of Bayern Munich duo Matthijs de Ligt and Noussair Mazraoui in a deal that could reach nearly £60 million.

De Ligt, the 25-year-old center-back, has committed to a five-year contract, while Mazraoui, 26, has agreed to a four-year deal, both with an option to extend for an additional year.

Mazraoui might be thrown into action right away, stepping in at left-back to cover for the injured Luke Shaw when United face Fulham in the Premier League on Friday at 8:00 PM BST. Shaw is expected to return after the first international break.

United will pay £38.5 million upfront for De Ligt, with an additional £4.3 million in potential add-ons. De Ligt, who captained Erik ten Hag's Ajax squad to the 2019 Champions League semi-finals, expressed his enthusiasm about reuniting with his former coach.

"Erik ten Hag shaped the early stages of my career, so he knows how to get the best out of me, and I cannot wait to work with him again," said De Ligt. "I know what it takes to succeed at the highest level, and I’m determined to continue that record at this special club."

Mazraoui, who also played under Ten Hag at Ajax, echoed these sentiments.

The Moroccan defender joins for an initial fee of £12.8 million, with another £4.3 million in potential add-ons. His arrival follows the departure of Aaron Wan-Bissaka to West Ham for £15 million earlier this week.

With United having failed to secure Everton’s Jarrad Branthwaite after two bids were rejected, De Ligt was seen as a more experienced and cost-effective option to bolster the defense, especially considering Everton's firm stance on their £70 million valuation of Branthwaite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back