Lee Carsley Appointed Interim England Manager for September Nations League Matches (1 Viewer)

Nnamdi

Legend
Local time
Today 1:15 AM
Credits
CgAGVWa2Fw2AFjr7AAnRVvsfCn4547.jpg.webp

Lee Carsley has been appointed as interim England manager for the upcoming Nations League matches in September while the Football Association (FA) continues its search for a permanent successor to Gareth Southgate.

The 50-year-old, who has been leading England's Under-21 team, steps into the role following Southgate's resignation, which came just two days after England’s defeat to Spain in the Euro 2024 final.

"Given my familiarity with the players and the rhythm of international football, it makes sense for me to guide the team during this period while the FA finds a new manager," Carsley said. "My main focus is to ensure continuity and to help the team achieve our goal of securing promotion in the UEFA Nations League."

A former Premier League midfielder, Carsley had a 17-year playing career with clubs like Derby and Everton. After retiring from playing, he transitioned into management, taking caretaker roles at Coventry, Brentford, and Birmingham before becoming England’s Under-20 coach in 2020.

Carsley quickly rose to lead the Under-21s, guiding them to a European Championship victory in 2023, the first time England had won the competition in 39 years. England is set to face the Republic of Ireland in Dublin on Saturday, September 7, followed by a home game against Finland three days later.

During his playing days, Carsley earned 40 caps for the Republic of Ireland. The FA has confirmed that Carsley will oversee these matches and could remain in charge throughout the autumn while the search for a permanent head coach continues.

"Lee is an excellent coach, well-acquainted with many of our senior squad members, having worked with them at both international and club levels," said FA chief executive Mark Bullingham.

"He provides a strong interim solution, and we are confident he will do well in the UEFA Nations League games. We appreciate Lee stepping up to lead the team during this transition period."

Ben Futcher will take over as England U21 boss, with further details about the backroom teams for both squads to be announced in due course.

CgAGVWa2Fw2AFjr7AAnRVvsfCn4547.jpg.webp

Lee Carsley has been appointed as interim England manager for the upcoming Nations League matches in September while the Football Association (FA) continues its search for a permanent successor to Gareth Southgate.

The 50-year-old, who has been leading England's Under-21 team, steps into the role following Southgate's resignation, which came just two days after England’s defeat to Spain in the Euro 2024 final.

"Given my familiarity with the players and the rhythm of international football, it makes sense for me to guide the team during this period while the FA finds a new manager," Carsley said. "My main focus is to ensure continuity and to help the team achieve our goal of securing promotion in the UEFA Nations League."

A former Premier League midfielder, Carsley had a 17-year playing career with clubs like Derby and Everton. After retiring from playing, he transitioned into management, taking caretaker roles at Coventry, Brentford, and Birmingham before becoming England’s Under-20 coach in 2020.

Carsley quickly rose to lead the Under-21s, guiding them to a European Championship victory in 2023, the first time England had won the competition in 39 years. England is set to face the Republic of Ireland in Dublin on Saturday, September 7, followed by a home game against Finland three days later.

During his playing days, Carsley earned 40 caps for the Republic of Ireland. The FA has confirmed that Carsley will oversee these matches and could remain in charge throughout the autumn while the search for a permanent head coach continues.

"Lee is an excellent coach, well-acquainted with many of our senior squad members, having worked with them at both international and club levels," said FA chief executive Mark Bullingham.

"He provides a strong interim solution, and we are confident he will do well in the UEFA Nations League games. We appreciate Lee stepping up to lead the team during this transition period."

Ben Futcher will take over as England U21 boss, with further details about the backroom teams for both squads to be announced in due course.
Perfect transition

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back