Jannik Sinner completes INCREDIBLE comeback against Daniil Medvedev to win Australian Open (1 Viewer)

MartinGee

Incredible Mister 💪
Staff member
Local time
Today 12:40 AM
Credits
United-States
2024-01-28T084549Z_1463886674_UP1EK1S0OCB2U_RTRMADP_3_TENNIS-AUSOPEN-1706432560.jpg
Italian tennis sensation Jannik Sinner secured his first-ever Grand Slam title in a stunning comeback victory against Daniil Medvedev in the Australian Open final.

Facing Medvedev's formidable hard-court skills, Sinner seemed on the verge of defeat. However, in a remarkable turn of events, he staged an incredible comeback, clinching the match 3-6, 3-6, 6-4, 6-4, 6-3 after three hours and 44 minutes of intense play.

Sinner's historic win not only marked his maiden Grand Slam victory but also made him only the third Italian man to achieve such a feat, following in the footsteps of Adriano Panatta and Nicola Pietrangeli.

Additionally, he became the first Italian to claim the prestigious Melbourne crown. At just 22 years old, Sinner is also the third-youngest man to win the Australian Open, joining the ranks of Novak Djokovic and Jim Courier.

His journey to the title match was equally impressive, with Sinner dropping just one set in his first five matches. Even the formidable Djokovic could only manage to snatch a set from him before the final showdown.

Medvedev, a seasoned player with five previous Grand Slam final appearances, initially dominated the match with his experience and powerful game. However, Sinner's determination and skill began to shine through as he mounted a remarkable comeback.

In a tense third set, Sinner broke Medvedev's serve at a crucial moment, turning the tide in his favor. He continued his impressive performance in the fourth set, unleashing a barrage of winners and capitalizing on his serves to level the match.

In the decisive fifth set, Sinner seized control, breaking Medvedev's serve and surging ahead. With a breathtaking forehand winner, he secured his championship point and sealed his victory in a moment of pure euphoria.

"Hello everyone, first of all Daniil I just want to congrats you and your team for an amazing tournament. I know we've played so many finals together, you make me a much better player. Your effort has been awesome throughout the all tournament," Sinner said on the court with the Norman Brookes Challenge Cup in hand.

"Everyone who is in my box and watching from home, we are trying to get better every day, even during the tournament we try to get stronger, try to understand every situation a little bit better."

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back