'It's Ruining Football'- Ronald Koeman Criticizes VAR After Netherlands Defeat to England (1 Viewer)

Nnamdi

Legend
Local time
Today 12:42 AM
Credits
koeman-criticizes-var-for-ruining-football-after-dutch-loss-1720667647.jpeg

Netherlands manager Ronald Koeman criticized the use of video assistant referees (VAR) for "ruining football" after England was awarded a controversial penalty in the tense Euro 2024 semi-final on Wednesday.

The Dutch team initially took the lead with a powerful goal from Xavi Simons. However, England was given a chance to equalize when Harry Kane was fouled by Denzel Dumfries after Kane had already missed his shot. Initially, no penalty was awarded, but referee Felix Zwayer changed his decision after consulting the VAR monitor.

Kane converted the penalty to tie the game, and substitute Ollie Watkins scored the winning goal in the 90th minute, sending England to the final against Spain on Sunday.

Koeman expressed his disagreement with the penalty decision, saying, "In my opinion, it should not have been a penalty. He kicked the ball and their boots touched. VAR is ruining football."

Former England defender and ITV pundit Gary Neville supported the Dutch team's frustration, calling the decision "disgraceful." He argued, "As a defender, I think it’s an disgraceful decision. There’s no way that was a penalty. He just goes in naturally to block the shot."

Ex-England striker Alan Shearer also shared his thoughts on BBC Radio 5 Live, acknowledging the contact but suggesting it wasn't enough to overturn the original decision: "There is no doubt there is contact, but the defender [Dumfries] is trying to block the ball. The follow-through from Harry Kane makes the connection, and I didn’t think it was a clear error to be overturned."

Netherlands and Liverpool captain Virgil van Dijk believed the penalty decision was crucial in the match. "I think the penalty moment is a big moment, and England gained confidence from it," he said. "So many decisions didn't go our way, but I don't want to discuss the referee."

koeman-criticizes-var-for-ruining-football-after-dutch-loss-1720667647.jpeg

Netherlands manager Ronald Koeman criticized the use of video assistant referees (VAR) for "ruining football" after England was awarded a controversial penalty in the tense Euro 2024 semi-final on Wednesday.

The Dutch team initially took the lead with a powerful goal from Xavi Simons. However, England was given a chance to equalize when Harry Kane was fouled by Denzel Dumfries after Kane had already missed his shot. Initially, no penalty was awarded, but referee Felix Zwayer changed his decision after consulting the VAR monitor.

Kane converted the penalty to tie the game, and substitute Ollie Watkins scored the winning goal in the 90th minute, sending England to the final against Spain on Sunday.

Koeman expressed his disagreement with the penalty decision, saying, "In my opinion, it should not have been a penalty. He kicked the ball and their boots touched. VAR is ruining football."

Former England defender and ITV pundit Gary Neville supported the Dutch team's frustration, calling the decision "disgraceful." He argued, "As a defender, I think it’s an disgraceful decision. There’s no way that was a penalty. He just goes in naturally to block the shot."

Ex-England striker Alan Shearer also shared his thoughts on BBC Radio 5 Live, acknowledging the contact but suggesting it wasn't enough to overturn the original decision: "There is no doubt there is contact, but the defender [Dumfries] is trying to block the ball. The follow-through from Harry Kane makes the connection, and I didn’t think it was a clear error to be overturned."

Netherlands and Liverpool captain Virgil van Dijk believed the penalty decision was crucial in the match. "I think the penalty moment is a big moment, and England gained confidence from it," he said. "So many decisions didn't go our way, but I don't want to discuss the referee."
VAR will always remain controversial

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back