Gareth Southgate Steps Down As England's Manager After Euros Final Defeat (1 Viewer)

Nnamdi

Legend
Local time
Today 6:57 PM
Credits
Southgate-e1721124876599.jpeg

Gareth Southgate has stepped down as England's national football team manager, two days after their 2-1 defeat to Spain in the 2024 European Championship final in Berlin. This loss marks England's second consecutive disappointment in a Euros final, following their penalty shootout defeat to Italy at Wembley three years ago.

Southgate, 53, led the team in 102 matches over his eight-year tenure. His contract was due to expire later this year. Reflecting on his time as manager, Southgate said, "As a proud Englishman, it has been the honor of my life to play for England and to manage England. It has meant everything to me, and I have given it my all. But it's time for change, and for a new chapter."

Football Association chief executive Mark Bullingham announced that the search for Southgate's replacement has begun, with the goal of confirming a new manager as soon as possible. He also stated that the FA has an interim plan in place if needed and will not provide further updates on the process until a new manager is appointed.

England's next match is against the Republic of Ireland in the Nations League on September 7. BBC sports editor Dan Roan reported that FA sources are unlikely to restrict their search to only English managers, with Under-21 boss Lee Carsley being a potential candidate for the interim role.

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back