Djokovic Questions Cameron Norrie's Attitude After Italian Open Drama (1 Viewer)

MartinGee

Incredible Mister 💪
Staff member
Local time
Today 11:47 AM
Credits
United-States
novak-kk-696x392.webp
Novak Djokovic has criticized British number one Cameron Norrie for what he considers a lack of "sportsmanship" following their clash in the last 16 of the Italian Open on Tuesday.

The six-time and defending champion defeated Norrie 6-3, 6-4 to secure a spot in the quarter-finals in Rome for the 17th consecutive year. However, there was a moment of controversy in the fourth game of the second set.

As Djokovic attempted to consolidate a break in the third game, both players approached the net. Norrie's forehand hit the tape and bounced awkwardly, allowing Djokovic to hit a high volley into the air. This set up an easy overhead smash for Norrie to break back. Djokovic, seemingly aware that the game was lost, turned his back and started walking away. However, as he made his way back to the baseline, Norrie's smash struck Djokovic on the ankle. Djokovic then turned around and gave his opponent an intense stare, but quickly raised his hand to apologize. Norrie, after securing the break and a 3-2 lead in the second set, did not acknowledge Djokovic when they sat down. Djokovic, a 22-time Grand Slam winner, responded with a disapproving look.

During the match, Norrie took a medical timeout before Djokovic served out the victory. At the conclusion of the 90-minute contest, the two players exchanged a brief handshake at the net.

While Djokovic acknowledged that Norrie may not have intentionally aimed to hit him with his smash, he questioned the 27-year-old's "attitude" regarding his medical timeout and what he perceived as other unsporting tactics.

"I did watch the replay when he hit me. Yeah, maybe you could say he didn't hit me deliberately. I don't know if he saw me. I mean, peripheralically [sic] you can always see where the player is positioned on the court. The ball was super slow and super close to the net. I just turned around because the point was over for me," Djokovic said at his post-match press conference.

"It's maybe not so much about that but it was kind of a combination of things. From the very beginning, I don't know, he was doing all the things that were allowed.
" He's allowed to take a medical timeout. He's allowed to hit a player. He's allowed to say 'c'mon' in the face more or less every single point from basically the first game.
"Those are the things that we players know in the locker room it's not fair play, it's not how we treat each other. But, again, it's allowed.

"I got along with Cameron really well all these years that he's been on the tour. Practised with each other. He's a very nice guy off the court, so I don't understand this kind of attitude on the court, to be honest.

"But it is what it is. He brought the fire, and I responded to that. I'm not going to allow someone behaving like this just bending my head. I'm going to respond to that. That's all it is. What happens on the court, we leave it on the court, and we move on."

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back