Brazil Legend Marta Bids Farewell After Olympics Final Defeat to USA (1 Viewer)

Nnamdi

Legend
Local time
Today 10:49 AM
Credits
6b8726e0-5759-11ef-8233-f56a9443e355.jpg
Brazil's all-time leading goalscorer, Marta, has likely played her last game for her country. The 38-year-old Orlando Pride forward announced her plans to retire from international football earlier this year, but there was speculation she might continue until the 2027 World Cup in Brazil.

However, after Saturday's 1-0 defeat to the United States in the Paris 2024 gold medal match, Marta confirmed it was her last game "in the Olympics and probably in official competition."

She added, "I don't think you will see me again at the World Cup."Marta leaves behind an incredible legacy, with three Olympic silver medals and a reputation as "the best in history," according to Brazil boss Arthur Elias. Despite never winning a major international trophy with Brazil, Marta's impact on the sport is immeasurable.

Her Olympics in Paris were marked by disappointment, including a red card and two-match ban for a dangerous tackle in a group-stage defeat by Spain. However, she was given a farewell appearance in the final against the USA, albeit as a second-half substitute.

Elias described his full-time whistle embrace with Marta as a "goodbye hug," but Marta plans to remain involved in football. "I am not going to disappear from football," she said. "I want to contribute to this generation of talented girls and help them achieve their goals."

Marta reflected on her 20-year career, saying, "I'm proud to have played a sport that wasn't always seen as being for women. Now, women's football is one of the most followed sports. I'm proud to have contributed to that process."

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
    Back