Benjamin Sesko signs new RB Leipzig deal after rejecting Premier League offers (1 Viewer)

BoyGeorge

Legend
Local time
Today 6:26 PM
Credits
Australia
e41e00a0-27da-11ef-9588-6d96e597ad15.jpg
RB Leipzig has announced a new long-term contract with forward Benjamin Sesko. The 21-year-old has been a hot topic for years, especially since it was known in July 2022 that he would eventually join Leipzig.

After finishing his time with Red Bull Salzburg last summer, Sesko made the move to Germany and had a great first season. In 21 starts and 18 substitute appearances in the Bundesliga and Champions League, he scored 16 goals and provided two assists. Impressively, Sesko found the net in seven consecutive games toward the end of the season, increasing interest in him.

Arsenal, Chelsea, and Manchester United have all shown interest in Sesko as they look to strengthen their attacking options. However, reports earlier this week indicated that Sesko chose to stay with Leipzig, turning down offers from the Premier League.

On Wednesday morning, Leipzig officially confirmed that Sesko had extended his contract until the end of the 2028-29 season. Despite clubs being ready to pay a release clause of around £55.3m, Sesko believes that continuing with Leipzig is "the logical next step."

He shared with the club's official website:
"I had a good first year at RB Leipzig and am incredibly happy to be here. Team, club, city, fans - the overall package is simply outstanding for me. The early contract extension was therefore the logical next step for me.

"Even though I didn't play or score as much in the first half of the season, this phase was very important for me and my development. I feel a lot of trust and appreciation throughout the club and that is crucial for being able to perform to my full potential. In the second half of the season in particular, I was able to give something back with my goals.

"We have a team with great potential and a balanced mix of young and experienced players. I'm really looking forward to taking the next steps with this team.

"We've already achieved a lot in my first season and often shown the amount of quality and outstanding football we can bring to the pitch. But there's still a lot more to be done and that's now our common goal."

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 2)
Back