Arsenal midfielder in talks with Sevilla over potential move (1 Viewer)

MartinGee

Incredible Mister 💪
Staff member
Local time
Today 11:22 AM
Credits
United-States
0_GettyImages-1358258213.jpg
Sevilla has reportedly begun negotiations with Arsenal to sign midfielder Albert Sambi Lokonga on loan this summer. Lokonga, now 24, joined Arsenal from Anderlecht in 2021 for around £17 million. He made his debut for the Gunners in a 2-0 loss to Brentford on the opening day of the 2021-22 Premier League season.

Despite his promising start, Lokonga struggled to secure a regular spot under Mikel Arteta, making only 12 starts in his first full season. In the 2022-23 season, he was loaned to Crystal Palace but again found limited playing time.

He was then sent on a second loan to Luton Town at the start of last season, where he managed 16 starts before a hamstring injury sidelined him for nearly three months, causing him to miss most of the latter part of the Premier League campaign.

Now back in North London, Lokonga’s chances of breaking into Arsenal’s midfield look slim, especially with Declan Rice firmly holding the defensive midfield position. Acknowledging his need for more playing time, Lokonga appears ready to move away from the Emirates this summer.

Transfer expert Fabrizio Romano recently tweeted a quote from Lokonga's interview with VOOsport, indicating the player's acceptance of his situation and his desire for more playing opportunities elsewhere.

"My time at Arsenal is slowly coming to the end, I think so. I had a discussion with the club and what was said is that the best solution for me was to leave."

Users who are viewing this thread

Who read this thread (Total readers: 2)
Back